The Second Day of Christmas: Simplify Your Holiday Decorating!



Greetings Friends! At this time of year, it is easy to get distracted by all of the trimmings and trappings of the season.  All you have to do is walk through any ornately decorated store to come to the conclusion that your decorations may pale in comparison.  Here's my two cents--don't buy into it for a minute! The loveliest decorations are often the simplest. Before buying anything new, shop your own home.  Is there a piece that may be sitting in storage that can serve as a one of a kind decoration?  Can you upcycle something you already own to give it new life?  Pictured is my heirloom nativity, it is old and and worn and one of my most cherished possessions.  I remember when my Mother gave it to me, apologetically at first because of its wear--little did she know at the time how my affection for Vintage would flourish! The only thing better than discovering a Vintage treasure while thrifting, is having one handed down as a family heirloom.


simplify holiday decorating


My kids have heard this story over and over again, and now I am sharing it with you. From the time my mother was a little girl, she would save her money and purchase one piece of the nativity to give my grandmother for Christmas each year. Eventually, my grandmother gifted her with the nativity.  In turn, my mother handed it down to me, and I will continue the tradition.  Each year, it graces my mantel and reminds me of generations past and the thoughtful women in my lineage. Maybe your treasured heirloom is an ornament or family album--celebrate your story as you decorate for the holidays!  Why not start some new traditions your family can pass down? In my following Twelve Days posts, I will be sharing ways to decorate with thrifted finds, dollar store crafts, handmade gifts and easy recipes to help you simplify.  


simplify holiday decorations


Come back and visit and please share your favorite simple pleasures of the season!


My Thrift Store Addiction signature


More from the 12 Days of Christmas Series:

Would you like to comment?

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!