What I Learned from My Headboard: How to Edit a Room Part 1

Hello Friends! I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!  On Friday, I shared this fabulous find; a gorgeous headboard that actually did not require any type of upcycle.  I was so excited to move it to its appointed place. I got my camera ready but stopped after a few photos. If you need to edit a room,  just look at it through your camera's screen.  I absolutely loved my thrifted headboard but suddenly it was the shining star and the rest of the room was barely twinkling! Have you ever had this experience? Here's what my headboard taught me...

How to edit a room

You may remember this room. First, I made no sew curtainsNext, I repainted and updated--you can see how it looked then, here.  Or at least, it seemed updated until I added my snazzy "new" headboard! Now, the bedding was too heavy and the room just felt cluttered. About this time I had an aha moment.  I had made the mistake of accumulating too many things I like instead of just decorating the room with the things I love.  That was about to change--time to get serious about editing! 

Simple room refresh

My goal was to complement the light colored headboard. A large piece of artwork was exchanged for one of my favorite smaller ones.  The ornately framed church and cityscape was a thrifted find, as was the ampersand. The chalkboard is a repurposed Vintage mirror and the birdcage; upcycled clearance from Hobby Lobby. The heavy bedding was replaced with this botanical spread which was actually a gift I had stored because I might use it sometime.  Well, sometime was here! Since most of the throw pillows I'd previously had on the bed were dark colors, I chose to keep only these two. I made this Toile pillow sham from a $1 yard sale find.  I loved the fabric and didn't realize until I got it home that it was a curtain panel.  I even had matching thrifted trim, you can see below.  Look closely and you can see Vintage books stacked inside the legs of the table. These and the corks are Etsy inventory. 

Simple bedroom refresh

The lamps I shopped from from the other guest bedroom and added these music sheet rosettes I found at Fredericksburg Trade Days. I'll be sharing my adventure there in September!

Upcycled thrift store lamp

Vintage luggage sits on the chest at the foot of the bed. The tiny lace baptismal cap is a family heirloom that both my mother and I wore as infants.  The trio of wool pears are available here.

Vintage luggage storage

Did you notice that I used what I already had in my house?  Besides the $12 purchase of the headboard that got this ball rolling, all I bought was some paint.  In my next post, I'll share those painted pieces, the birdcage upcycle and we'll talk about that plum colored armoire in the corner! 

Simple room refresh

So glad you stopped by! 

My Thrift Store Addiction




MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST:


                                                 JUNKINLOGO2211111



Party link






Would you like to comment?

  1. Love how the headboard looks with your bed and the changes you have made. The spread looks so nice too. Good job, my friend.
    Now I need some suggestions as what to do with the bed frame that I bought this week at our favorite Thrift store.
    Have a great Sunday.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE your new headboard...the changes are looking great Very nice job indeed Now, you and Audrey go have a cup of tea and a scone together and TALK ABOUT ME.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new look. Must say I am quite taken by that butterfly pillow...and the headboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic find! Lookin good Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the headboard, and the pillow from a curtain...and boy do I wish my bedroom redo was this far along! You were FAST!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful headboard -love the stacked suitcases! the bedroom redo looks terrific! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your room at RLTLT, C. :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!