Rescued Chairs Reveal!

Greetings Friends! On Friday, I shared my latest thrift store treasures and promised a makeover to come.  Here we go...

Chalk painted thrift store chairs

I couldn't be happier with the results! What do you think? So here, the chairs are awaiting their transformation...

Chalk painted thrift store chair upcycle

...and here is the backside of the cushion after the fresh fabric has been attached by staple gun. Can you believe I had the fabric hanging in my studio closet? It's a clearance tablecloth from Target that I have had for years.  I loved the birds and it was too cheep to pass up! However when I got home and realized it was a one way pattern, I never used it--I didn't like the birds upside down on one side of the table. To say I'm glad I kept it, is an understatement! I had already picked my paint color and could not believe how well the two paired. 

Upcycle worn seat covers

Silly me, in my makeover giddiness I forgot to take pictures of the painting process but here's what I used.  This was my first time to use Americana Decor chalk paint and I found it at Home Depot.  I chose it solely for the color--those of you who know me are not surprised ;) It is very reasonably priced, compared to other chalk paints. The paint and the wax together cost just under $23. It was easy to work with and I would definitely use it again. I used two coats of paint and two coats of wax. 

Chalk paint upcycle

I used extra fine sand paper to distress just the one place in the center of the chair's back.

Chalk painted thrift store chair upcycle

Don't they make a pretty pair? 

Chalk painted thrift store chair upcycle

The total cost for my lovelies was about $45 including the paint, wax and previously purchased tablecloth! Can you imagine trying to find anything comparable in furniture stores? I couldn't have bought one chair for that price and certainly couldn't have found anything I love near as much.  And that, dear friends is why I am hopelessly addicted to thrifting! 

My Thrift Store Addiction



MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST:




                                      The Dedicated House


  
                                      Thrifty Life Thursday


                                              Stackedcup-1_thumb_thumb[1]

                                             Photobucket                                   
                                             Feathered Nest Friday
                                                                                           

                                             Life on Lakeshore Drive


I was featured!






Party link


            

Would you like to comment?

  1. What a wonderful transformation! Simply beautiful in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chairs look great Cecilia. Love that fabric with the paint and that you chose to distress only the one place on the chair back to bring out that pretty feature.
    Great job, my friend ... worth waiting a day longer to see.
    Have a great Sunday.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! The color is so soft and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic. Awesome job.
    My mini blog post just published...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girlfriend, you wasted NO time in your redo! I love the way your chairs turned out. I JUST bought some of the same brand of paint today...and will use it this week, maybe. Now, I'm wondering what Audrey found...

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You did a wonderful job! I especially love how the fabric design and colors fit with the chair color. You did good!! -Bev

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had some questions about the color spray paint you used on your basket..??
    I am going to Home Depot today and get this paint you used on your chairs. I have a tiny hutch that I want THIS color...hope I can do as good a job. Will I need to sand my maple colored hutch before painting? Any other tips you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I'm such a scardy cat when it comes to painting...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lucky thrift store score Cecilia, those chairs have gorgeous details. I love the color and fabric you choose - so pretty. They caught my eye over at the Share It One More Time Party :)
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful. You did an outstanding job of making them over. I love the fabric (really. . .a tablecloth?) and how the paint matches so perfectly. You must be feeling so pleased. They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chairs turned out beautiful! I love the framework and you really gave it new life with your paint job. Thank you for sharing on Wake Up Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how these turned out. The color is perfect and so is the thrifty price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey...congrats on all the features! It's so cool seeing your chairs in blogdom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, Cecilia! I LOVE the way those turned out! I thought I recognized the fabric as a Target table cloth! It is perfect for your chairs....goes to show you should always grab what you love 'cause you'll find a use for it some day! The color you chose for your chairs is divine...glad to hear the Home Depot chalk paint is nice. Been wanting to try it.
    Thrifting is addictive for sure! The thrill of the hunt and turning something old and worn into something useful and beautiful is so much fun. You nailed it with theses chairs!
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! And I wanted to say how much I love the distressed detail on the chair backs. I first thought you'd added it but then saw it was a carved detail of the chair. It looks great!

      Delete
  14. From one thrift addict to another, GORGEOUS!! Love, love the color and the bird fabric is just perfect! Didn't know Home Depot carried chalk paint. Little lone for such a great price. I need to try it. Thanks for sharing with SYC
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how pretty! I love the bird fabric! How lucky to have it in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cecilia, love these chairs so much that I must feature them at SYC as well. Congrats!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your transformation is amazing - beautiful color and fabric! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday Link Party, Celia. Dare I feature them one more time? The poor things must be exhausted from all the attention! Still, you're up, girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohmygosh - Ohmygosh - Ohmygosh - these are absolutely gorgeous !!!
    That fabric is to die for - what an amazing transformation
    Congrats on the ( so well earned ) feature over at Share a daily cup - going to pin these!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm new to all these blogs.....what a boatload of creative ladies out there! I am so inspired....(I had lost my creative mojo unfortunately, but I think it's coming back!) These chairs are 1. my favorite color and 2. have birds on them....WOW transformation... Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cecilia ... Congratulation on your chairs being featured all over blogland.
    They are beautiful and well deserved to be featured.
    Nice to see you today and hope you found some treasures.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  22. Inspiration! Maybe now my unfinished chairs will get a new seat cover. I have a tablecloth I would have never even thought of! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous! I love the seats of the chairs in the tablecloth bird print, good thinking to hold onto it. The paint color suits the chairs perfectly. You did a fabulous job and I like that you only distressed the one place in the center of the chairs back.

    I used a tablecloth to cover the seats of my kitchen chairs when I painted them a few years back. The tablecloth material held up really well, but now I feel like doing a more graphic look on the chairs. I am in the process of recovering them again along with my dining room chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. You are one of the features tonight at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to the party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/09/make-it-pretty-monday-week-112.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  25. The chairs turned out great...love the color, and the fabric is perfect! Thanks for sharing this and your pretty mantel and garden at What We Accomplished Wednesdays! Have a super week!
    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love, love, love the fabric on this chair. I am all about unusual color combinations and unique fabrics. And that is what that is. It stands out in a sea of hexagons and what -nots!!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!