DIY Tooth Fairy Pillow

Happy Wednesday Friends! Did you know that August 22 is National Tooth Fairy Day?  I didn't even know there was such a thing! Even so, I am sharing an easy DIY project you can make for the little ones in your life. I can't believe over 25 years have passed since the first time I made one of these. I was younger than my girls are now--hard to believe!  I was so touched to learn my niece Jennifer still has the one I made her all those years ago and passed it down to her baby girl. Her mom, Melissa contacted me to make pillows for her other grandkids and great-nephew. Pictured below is Oliver's tooth pillow. Ready to make one...or several? 

Tooth fairy pillow tutorial
Here's what you will need:
1/2 yd fabric of your choice
White felt for tooth and color of your choice for child's initial
Pollyfil for stuffing
Embroidery thread  (optional)

I used soft, cuddly minky fabric and added a felt tooth pocket for the tooth/surprise exchange.  I made two pillows per 1/2 yard of fabric by folding it in half, and cutting two equal pieces.  Then I used a piece of computer paper as a rectangular pattern for the pillow. Of course, you can makes yours any size you like. My tooth pattern is actually an appointment card from my dentist. You can print mine or draw your own if you prefer.


Tooth fairy pillow tutorial

To make the tooth, I traced it onto the felt and cut it out. Then I embroidered around the edges, using a blanket stitch while attaching it to the minky.  I also gave mine a simple face.  The tooth pocket could be machine stitched if you prefer, just be sure to leave an opening at the top for the tooth/surprise.  Also, I completed the embroidery before sewing the pillow edges to avoid accidentally sewing the pillow pieces together prior to stuffing. You'll notice painter's tape on the fabric edges because the fabric I used is super soft but sheds like crazy! 


Tooth fairy pillow tutorial


If you are making more than one, you may want to add a felt monogram initial, like my "O" for "Oliver in the first photo.  I just used letter stencils for the monogram patterns. Once your tooth is attached, stitch the pillow together, right sides together, leaving one short end open for stuffing.

Tooth fairy pillow tutorial

I use pollyfil for stuffing and often find unopened packages at thrift stores and yard sales.   After your pillow is stuffed, stitch the end closed.  You'll be ready to surprise your little ones with their very own tooth fairy pillow for National Tooth Fairy Day! 


Tooth fairy pillow tutorial

I wanted to close with a sweet story from my dear friend Carly.  It was her seven year old son Maddux's first experience with the Tooth Fairy.  Once Maddux fell asleep, the usual exchange occurred.  Carly woke up the next morning expecting Maddux to be excited but instead found him sobbing, "She took my tooth!" His mother tried to explain but soon realized he was distraught because he wanted to show his tooth to his grandma--he even offered to give the money back! I know all the grandmothers out there are collectively exclaiming, "Awwww!" So he wrote TF the following letter, who kindly returned the prized tooth and all was right with the world.  Maddux woke up ecstatic! Aren't kids the best?

Tooth fairy tutorial

Have any funny stories about your kids/grandkids related to the Tooth Fairy? I would love to hear them! 

My Thrift Store Addiction



My Thrift Store Addiction

Would you like to comment?

  1. I made tooth monster pillows found on pinterest...My grandaughters love them.. One granddughter's first tooth was forgotten by the "tooth-fairy" the fist night inside the pillow...after morning tears...the tooth fairy left a note on the second night explaining the movie crisis (so busy on the set of Rise of the Guardians),, that they had missed her ... she got a dollar along with the note... the dollar is long gone, but the note is a prized possession.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I had a tooth fairy jar when I was younger. I put it beside my bed which probably made it easier for the tooth fairy to switch out the tooth without waking me up. I love the idea of having a special pillow for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pillow Cecilia and so easy.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so cute! And I totally love that letter...that made me smile. I love the way kid's minds work. One of mine doesn't even have all of his yet, so it will be awhile, but I will totally be whipping them up some awesome tooth fairy pillows when the day comes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got baby grands that would love these.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!