Dark Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies: Comfort From My Kitchen

Happy Monday, Friends! It's no secret that I am a self-confessed chocolaholic, so I'm sure it will come as no surprise that my latest recipe is all about chocolate. You can whip up these easy cake mix cookies in no time and choose your favorite variation...

dark chocolate cake mix cookies

With more people baking during the pandemic, I have noticed that flour and sugar aren't always available. However, I've had no problem finding cake mixes. I've had a few of my cookie recipes featured in the Country Sampler Farmhouse Style holiday issue and cake mix cookies have become a fast favorite. Today, I'm sharing 3 variations: Hot Cocoa, Death by Chocolate, and Dark Chocolate Orange. Each recipe has the same ingredients, varying only the final stir-ins.

Here's what you'll need:

Your favorite chocolate cake mix
1 egg (I prefer chewy cookies--if you prefer cake-like, use 2.)
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup water
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips


dark chocolate cake mix cookies

Blend the cake mix, egg, butter, and water. For Dark Chocolate Orange cookies, add 1 teaspoon orange extract before adding the dark chocolate chips

dark chocolate cake mix cookies

 For the other two variations, add the dark chocolate chips, and your preferred stir-in ingredient:

Hot Cocoa: 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
Death by Chocolate: 1/2 cup walnut pieces

dark chocolate cake mix cookies

Drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment paper lined pan. Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake--the chewy version will harden! (You'll notice the Hot Cocoa version is displayed in the mixed ingredients photo, while the baked Death by Chocolate cookies are pictured below.) Enjoy! 

dark chocolate cake mix cookies

Dark Chocolate Orange Cake Mix Cookies


dark chocolate cake mix cookies

Death by Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies 

dark chocolate cake mix cookies

My Thrift Store Addiction


dark chocolate cake mix cookies

Which flavor will you try first? 
My Thrift Store Addiction signature

Would you like to comment?

  1. Those cookies look/sound delish, and I love the Jadeite cake stand and Hazel Atlas Crinoline dessert plate! I'm a fellow thrifter and found your site in a Google search for thrifted home decor blogs. I haven't started any home or upcycling projects yet, but am looking at a lot of inspiration. I hope to one day do something like the One Room Challenge, but they work with brands, and I'm not sure ANY home decor linkups would like my particular style.

    I can't wait to look around here some more!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take a dozen of each! LOL I have not been able to shop for things to be able to make yummies. Got to stay isolated. Too risky for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I actually have all the ingredients and love chocolate! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always make myself crazy during the holidays and love baking for my church's Nov. bazaar. I love these cookies with red and green M&Ms in them! Rolling them in powdered sugar before baking to emphasize the "crinkle" effect is pretty--and tasty, too! Any recipe that looks lke I worked hard with great results works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making cake mix cookies for about 40+ years! My recipe is slightly different. I use any cake mix box, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup cooking oil. ( I use canola). Mix liquids to blend, then mix in the cake mix. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

    Another recipe is:
    1/4 cup margarine, room temp. 8 oz softened cream cheese 1 egg 1/4 tsp vanilla 1 package white or yellow or chocolate cake mix nuts optional
    Blend margarine and cheese, Add egg, vanilla and blend. Add cake mix and nuts if you like.
    Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of them look so good! I made some similar last year for Christmas and now I'm already craving them again! After reading this people are going to start hoarding cake mixes. :D

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!