No Stencil? No Problem--Use "Leftover" Crafts to Get the Look

Hi there, Friends! I'm popping in a day early this week to join this month's Creative Craft Blog Hop hosted by Chloe at Celebrate and Decorate and Andrea from Design Morsels. If you've hopped over after visiting Rachelle at My Hubbard Home, welcome! So let's say inspiration strikes, and you have just the right place for the perfect sign--you can just picture it...

DIY stencil using leftover stickers

If you're reading this, chances are, you're a thrifty DIYer who makes her own signs, but then you realize that the stencil you had hoped to use is completely the wrong size! Has this ever happened to you? Well I have a thrifty solution using "leftover" craft supplies, and today I'll show you how I created this "stenciled" sign for my relaxing garden retreat.  


I bet if you were to go through your craft stash, you probably have some stickers on hand. I've bought this large size for the occasional project when Hobby Lobby has their 50% off sales. You'll also need a piece of scrap wood, outdoor craft paint, and a makeup sponge wedge. 

DIY stencil using leftover stickers

Like me, you probably have some sheets that have "open spaces" where you have used letters. By cutting the outlines of the letters out, you can create your own adhesive letter stencils! 

DIY stencil using leftover stickers

Remove the backing from the sticker outline and use it like a stencil. Don't toss the backing yet--you can replace the letter on it to reuse it if desired. For letters that have inserts to create spaces, you'll need to remove those separately and place them accordingly. The process is actually easier than it sounds! Note: When I stencil letter by letter like this, I do use a tape measure to keep the word even. I just measure how far from the bottom of the sign I want the letters to be. 

DIY stencil using leftover stickers

That's all there is to it! Thanks for stopping by! 

DIY stencil using leftover stickers

My Thrift Store Addiction

DIY adhesive stencil using leftover stickers

Next on the hop is Carol from Bluesky at Home. You're going to love her pretty decoupage project as well as the other creative crafts below!

Creative Craft blog hop















My Thrift Store Addiction signature

Would you like to comment?

  1. Fantastic idea Cecilia! Turned out great and thanks for sharing.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea!!! I love reusing things like this that would normally end up in the trash.

    Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I have done something similar to this concept, but I'll definitely have to remember this trick. Love your sign! Great job friend and so great crafting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Celcilia, I love the saying and made the same saying for my craft room. I had a stencil that I paid for, gosh I wish I wouldn't of waited for your post to make my own. Dang it! Looks great on your fence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't you smart!! That is such a cozy spot, I need a happy place with Rose all day!! 😂 Your sign looks perfect!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, Cecilia. There is always a creative way to make a project work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed with all of you stencilers! I always have paint leaking under the edges. I am really going to have to do more practicing and raad more tips. This was a great fix and a bargain, too! Thanks Cecilia for joining us in this hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever Cecilia! I hope your garden didn't suffer too much storm damage. Thinking of you and happy to be hopping with you today ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I am always interested in your creations; they are often so original!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Never thought of this! You know I'm a big DIY-stencil lover and this is a GREAT idea! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever way to create stencils, Cecilia! I love that you used something that was destined for the trash. I’m going to keep my eye out for some large letter stickers. I love the saying, too. I’d like to make one for my craft room! It was fun hopping with you!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!