After the Storm


Hi there, Friends. In case you missed Friday's post, I shared my enchanting pallet picnic and details about the devastating storm that happened after I'd photographed the garden. Today I'm sharing how the garden looks now. I'll warn you, there aren't any pretty images, but in time, I hope they'll be encouraging before photos followed by more promising afters... 

storm damage

This photo was taken early morning and isn't the best quality, but you can see the garden gate is wedged shut. If you look at the bottom of the gate, you can see the hail. There was so much that it clumped together like ice. The front and back yards looked as though it had snowed! 

storm damage

This is the first of four uprooted cedars. With Favorite Son's help, they are slowly but surely getting cut and burned. 

storm damage

The second tree fell onto...

storm damage

...the septic system aerator. Thankfully, this tree has been removed. I received an estimate, and the part has been ordered. 

storm damage septic system aerator

Sniff! 😢

storm damage

The hail did a number on the shutters, and the wind whipped the climbing fig. 

storm damage

Piles of cut brush, after multiple piles have already been burned, and logs set aside. 
storm damage

I could share more piles of rubbish, but you get the idea. As I said before, it is going to be a process. Thank you for your continued prayers! 

storm damage


UPDATE: Sweet Youngest Daughter set up this Bonfire campaign to help restore my garden and offset the many expenses that the insurance won't cover. (#NOTaGoodNeighbor) 

Save the Secret Garden T-shirt campaign

My Thrift Store Addiction signature

Would you like to comment?

  1. So awful to have such devastation of your beautiful sanctuary. But you'll put it to rights soon, and make it even better with new touches of graceful charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cecilia, how heartbreaking. Looking for the positive, you are so fortunate to have your son for much needed first response labor, and you are a creative woman who will undoubtedly make something beautiful out of the mess. I have had you in my prayers and will keep you in them for blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH no! Glad you are ok but so sorry for the loss of such precious "things". We know all of that can be replaced but it still hurts. Prayers and hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cecelia,

    You mentioned how bad the storm was but showing the damage is sad. I can't believe it all and the hail.

    I'm so happy no one got hurt. Losing items you love is hard and it's hard. Mother Nature can be so fickle.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you hugs. Weather is a remorseless enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all the mess and cleanup...so glad you weren't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a horrible thing to witness, and to go through. I am so very sorry for all of the damage that has happened in your yard, and to all of your beautiful plates, cups, and teapot, bird baths. I know this is heart breaking. We can thank God, that you and family are safe, and unhurt. Prayers being sent your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what a terrible storm!!! Glad everyone is safe, but the damage is heartbreaking!!!! This reminds me that my very favorite garden is the garden plan I sketch out in January!!!! It's always PERFECTION!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayers and hugs to you and all the help you have and have had. When the tree roots are out of the way, you will have some spaces for more flower beds--or herbs? I pulled up 5 (sheet rock compound 5 gal) buckets of weeds today and think I am hard used. Hopefully just enough so that my back doesn't complain too badly tomorrow. I would be out in your yard with some kind of tool whacking away with tears running down my face. I imagine everyone in your area will have firewood for fire pit wood to burn for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cecelia,
    OMG!! I am so sorry that this happened to you! Thank God that you were not hurt...After a tornado narrowly missed my house, I can imagine how un-nerving this type of thing is..It will take a bit of time but I am sure you will recover from this and your yard will be even more beautiful! Thanks so much for always visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cecelia, I am so sorry to see all the damage done to your yard, your decorations, and your trees. Sure they are just material things but they are still hard to lose when you have put so much time and effort into them. With your creative spirit though, I am sure it will end up looking even prettier as you work to restore your yard.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, that was quite a storm! How stressful it must have been to wake up to the destruction. Thankfully, your house was spared and you have help to get you through the yard damage.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!