Simple Caprese Pasta Salad Plus How to Marinate Mozzarella


Happy Wednesday, Friends! Since I eat a lot of salads during the summer months, I like to get creative with my recipes. Caprese salad is one of my very favorites and today I'm sharing a caprese pasta salad I've been making for a few months now. It's light and tasty and so very simple to make...


simple caprese pasta salad


Ingredients:

  • 12 oz box spaghetti
  • 1 package grape tomatoes (or the equivalent from your garden)
  • 1/2 package fresh mozzarella
  • 4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette 
  • 3 tablespoons cut basil
  • herb scissors (optional)


Caprese recipes are the perfect way to use fresh garden basil and tomatoes. I'm also going to show you how to marinate your own fresh mozzarella which tastes better, is healthier and also less expensive. As a caprese lover, I've tried my fair share of fresh mozzarella, but most of the marinated versions are a little too oily for my taste, so I've started marinating it myself. I like these little pearls and at $3.00, that's about half the price of most. {Tip: If you use Ibotta, there is currently a .75 rebate offered at Walmart!}


simple caprese pasta salad


Add the balsamic vinaigrette to the mozzarella. Pictured, are just some of the pearls but use half of the package and coat with the dressing. {Tip: if you  use Ibotta, Walmart also has a $1.00 rebate on Newman's Own light balsamic dressing!}


simple caprese pasta salad


I add my cut basil to the mozzarella while it's marinating too. I like lots of basil in my caprese and I use herb scissors to snip it so it gets evenly distributed throughout the salad. My handy herb scissors are one of the best kitchen gadgets I've purchased. {Get herb scissors here!}


simple caprese pasta salad


Cover and chill. It doesn't take long to flavor the mozzarella, but I like to keep some stored so it's on hand for my caprese recipes. 


simple caprese pasta salad


Now that the mozzarella is marinating, cook your favorite pasta, rinse with cold water and drain. While the pasta is cooking, cut the tomatoes in halves and add the marinated mozzarella and basil. 


simple caprese pasta salad



Last, add the pasta to the marinated mixture, stir gently to coat the pasta and chill until ready to serve. The balsamic dressing will continue to soak in as it chills, so stir again before serving and if desired more balsamic can be added when served. 


My Thrift Store Addiction


simple caprese pasta salad

My Thrift Store Addiction




Would you like to comment?

  1. This looks so refreshing and yummy. I like salads too. Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my kind of salad and I would eat it as a meal. Looks so good! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious...all of my favorite things in one bowl. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell you "first hand" that this salad is so beautiful ... so delicious and so healthy. Yes, Cecelia brought us one when Mr.Z. was in Rehab center. What a treat and such a caring blogger friend.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this salad looks so delicious! I would love you to share this with Smell Good Sunday https://jaytriedandtrue.blogspot.com/2017/08/smell-good-sunday-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. we love eating pasta and salad in our house I am going to surprise them with this next time. Thanks for sharing come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh oh, you're making me hungry with this one! It looks soo good, and I'm ready for a bite! Thanks for sharing it at Sweet Inspiration this week Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds great! I've never made a pasta salad with spaghetti. Pasta salads are a staple here in the summer; I take out the bowl and yell, "Supper's ready!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in Aldi's today and was tempted to buy their marinated mozzarella. I thought the same as you, it was way too oily. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delish. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. we love Caprese EVERYTHING! It's a weekly at our house :) Thx for sharing at last week's Reader Tip Tuesday. I hope to see you at this week's party: http://www.jodiefitz.com/2017/08/15/reader-tip-tuesday-craft-recipe-party/
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!