Mosaic Garden Art as Camouflage


Hi there, Friends! Today I have some unique garden art to share with you. It's not so much the mosaic design that makes it unusual, but rather its unlikely location. I bet you can't guess where...


mosaic garden art camouflage


It all started when I decided to create a patio area using pavers. Here's part of the area that I prepared before adding the pavers. Now if you remember I'm the person who has painted her oven, a sofa, and patio umbrellas, you shouldn't be too surprised that I decided to beautify...


mosaic garden art camouflage


...the septic tank cover! Yep, you read that right--after all, it stuck out like a sore thumb in my designated patio spot. I actually completed this project several years ago. I never got around to sharing my before photos until now but since I haven't come across anything remotely similar, I thought you might appreciate my pretty camouflage. Originally, I placed a metal sun face in the center, in hopes of distracting myself from the eyesore as I worked on my little patio. Then I had an idea--I would create art from the ugly unlikely. 


mosaic garden art camouflage


I decided it might be easier to accomplish before adding the pavers, so after I spread paving sand, I painted the top with hammered copper. Once it dried, I arranged glass pebbles from Dollar Tree in one of the sections. I liked the look, so I used craft glue to attach them and added more pebbles in each section, creating a mosaic look without the grout. I was careful to leave the screw to the cover accessible. I fully expected the guy who maintains my septic to give me a hard time, but he actually liked my design ;) 


mosaic garden art camouflage


Around the same time, I found several of these pretty Mexican pottery plates at a yard sale. I replaced the metal sun with one and it rests nicely in the center so I didn't glue it. Besides, it needs emptying after a good rain. This photo was taken several years ago, when the project was first completed.


mosaic garden art camouflage


Though I didn't think to get more photos back then, originally I added more of the glass pebbles in the surrounding spots that were too small for pavers. The photo below was taken earlier this week. I am happy to say, my mosaic art has held up really well. I have not had to replace one pebble on the cover! {The screw to the cover shows up better in this photo.} Also, it has not interfered in the slightest with my septic tank. The area surrounding the cover needed a little cleaning out though. 


mosaic garden art camouflage


I cleaned out the leaves and refreshed it with more glass gems I scored at a yard sale.


mosaic garden art camouflage


Here's a view with the full patio--quite an improvement from the previous eyesore!


mosaic garden art camouflage


My Thrift Store Addiction

mosaic garden art camouflage


I'd love to hear your thoughts on my camouflage. Crazy, clever or a little of both?!

My Thrift Store Addiction signature



MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST: 







Join us each Wednesday for Waste Not Wednesday and share all your DIY and Craft Projects, Home Decor and yummy recipes | www.raggedy-bits.com | www.mythriftyhouse.com | www.smallhousehome.com | www.salvagesisterandmister.com | www.reinventedkb.com



party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. Wow!! I love it! It is crazy and clever and who would ever know what is under there? The septic at my old house was actually right in the middle of my perennial garden. The worst happened...it had to be dug up. I hope that never happens to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! How creative and fun! You are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very ingenious! It is such a beautiful and peaceful part of your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Do the birds use it as a bird bath after a rain? The pebbles go so well with the colors in the plate and your other furnishings! It definitely is a unique accent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NIce job!!! Way to take an eye sore and make it into a beautiful feature!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. We have septic also and I think this is a great idea! 2. Ours is camouflaged by about 10 hydrangea bushes:) 3. I think it looks great!
    xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to hide something unsightly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant, if you can't hide it make it into art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea, Cecilia...now it is a whimsical piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super! This is such a creative and attractive solution to a problem. Nobody would guess what this beautiful piece of yard art is covering.
    Carol ("Mimi") from Home with Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cecilia, this is beyond adorable! I love it! It looks like yard art or patio art! Who would ever guess it's really a septic tank cover! Pinning & sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your creativity. It's a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I'd say very, very clever! It coordinates with the furniture to really perk up the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! What a wonderful place to spend some quality you time! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! I love how something problematic forces us to become extra creative. :) This is a very good solution.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No one would ever guess what's hiding under this work of art. You are so creative and patient. Great project! Thank you for sharing with us at Celebrate Your Story, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea and it really looks good!! Thank you for linking up to Party in Your PJ's. Pinned, tweeted and shared on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out great - love the sunny addition to the patio :)!
    Thx for sharing at last week's Reader Tip Tuesday xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. SERIOUSLY BRILLIIANT!!!!!

    Thanks for linking to Waste Not Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cecilia, Congrats on being one of our features at Share Your Style! This is a stunning and creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a clever cover up. Love your patio too. Thanks for sharing with the Waste Not Wednesday link party. Keep coming back to inspire us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is such a clever and beautiful idea! I love it! Your little patio area looks lovely too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a hoot! We have a propane lid buried in our yard that looks like the lid of a trash can. It never entered my mind to make it something pretty or fun! Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a brilliant idea Cecilia. I love it! Thanks for sharing with the Garden Party.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!