Back to School Nostalgic Vintage Vignette


Hi there, Friends! As summer comes to an end, and kids head back to school, I am reminded of the scripture from Ecclesiastes:

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven. {Ecclesiastes 3:1} 

While those of you with kids still in school may be hunting uniforms and school supplies, it's also a time of year that holds fond memories for many. Today I'm sharing a few of  mine...


back to school vintage vignette


I can hardly believe Ginger Grand started first grade this week! The back-to-school season has a tendency to make me nostalgic, reflecting on school days past and memories of homeschooling my three kids. When I came across a vintage school chalkboard last month, it seemed fitting to create a vignette for the season. 


back to school vintage vignette


I've had a love affair with books for as long as I can remember. When I was in fifth grade, I started riding my bike to the local library, which was about six miles round-trip and loading as many books as I could carry in my basket--usually mysteries. As an adult, I acquired an affection for vintage books and now, you'll find them in every room of my house. Here's a few favorites stacked with the single apple I kept from Friday's Find.


back to school vintage vignette


As a homeschool mom, one of my greatest goals was to cultivate a love of reading in my children. From the time they were toddlers we visited the library weekly--a habit I'm proud to see Youngest Daughter has carried on with Ginger Grand. Not long after our family moved to our small town, when Dear Firstborn was only five and YD was just a baby, we attended our first library book sale, stroller in tow. That particular year, the sale was held in a vacant spot in our tiny shopping mall. For weeks prior to the sale, I admired the pretty cover of the Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm that was displayed in the mall window. Since the space was kept locked until the sale, I had no idea of its publication date, but I longed to get my hands on it! 


back to school vintage vignette


Though I arrived early, my heart sank when I entered the sale and the special book was no longer in the window. Disappointed, I assumed someone had beaten me to it. However, after browsing for awhile, I noticed a table dedicated to antique books...and there was my book! Of course, the books on this table were priced higher. Nevertheless, I picked it up and carried it around as I contemplated the purchase. If memory serves me correctly, I think it was $7.00. With the majority of books priced at less than $1.00, back then that was a splurge and thrifty girl that I am, I do remember carefully considering it. Once I opened the book, my decision was made. Though I had originally fallen in love with the cover, I was delighted to find this inscription inside....


back to school vintage vignette


...as well as the 1903 copyright and that it was in excellent condition. My kids and I read it together and it has been well loved ever since. It was only later that I learned it was actually a first edition copy. Though Houghton Mifflin used 1904 as the date on the title page, the copyright page indicates 1903 with no subsequent printings listed. As I researched, I learned mine also has the noted original words listed for specific pages that were evidently changed in later editions. As you might imagine, I treasure it! 


back to school vintage vignette


I find vintage typewriters so interesting and have been blessed to find really good deals on several, in addition to  the one my mother handed down to me. I love the quote by Cicero: 
A room without books is like a body without a soul. 


back to school vintage vignette


My Thrift Store Addiction


back to school vintage vignette


What memories come to mind when you think about back-to-school season?


My Thrift Store Addiction signature


party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. Sweet memories. What a find on the book! That's probably why it was so expensive at the time. Glad you encouraged your kids to read! My mom did so with me, & I love to read too. A world of escape through books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cherished book. For me it's hard to believe it's already back to school for the grandkids. We lived in a small town when my kids were little, and we went to the library twice a week. What a magical place they can be. My three girls turned out to be excellent lifetime readers and high school and college honor students because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take my own kids to the same library I used to go to as a child. It's been renovated and the layout of the building is different now, but some of the books are the exact same and I love sharing my memories with them. Your book is lovely. I guess it was meant to be yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your memories with us. Love your story about the book.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful find on the first edition. Your vignette is precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You finding that book was meant to be. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful post at Snickerdoodle.

      Delete
  6. Darling vignette Cecilia! That book is a real treasure. I have always loved that scripture.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have lovely memories! You reminded me that I picked up a great vintage chalkboard a while ago. I need to make a Fall sign with it now. I have vintage books throughout my home also. They just add such a nice touch to things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful find that book was, worth far more than $7 in the end!

    Back to school always reminds me of shopping...new clothes, school supplies, etc. It is more a new beginning than January to me, and I think a lot of people share that sentiment.

    Lovely vignette, and like you, antique typewriters have always appealed to me (although I don't have any). Next to antique sewing machines, they're one of my favorites.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO much fun! :)

    I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: HTTPS://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/GROUPS/PLUCKYRECIPESCRAFTSTIPS/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice vignette. I love using old books around the house as well.
    Visiting from talk of the town-Nancy Jeannette from ladyandthehouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems like Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm was just waiting for you Cecilia. I'm sure she knew that you would treasure her. Books are shes right?

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!