Friday's Find #212


TGITF Friends!  I never know quite what I'll find in my thrifting adventures and for me that's part of the thrill of the hunt! This week I was drawn to these vintage ping pong paddles. They are sturdy wood and in excellent condition. No...I don't have a ping pong table, but I do have a plan...


vintage ping pong paddles


Several months ago, I found my first courting candle. Since it sold recently, I grabbed this one because though I've seen them in antique shops, these are the only two I've ever come across in thrift stores. Courting candles were considered a traditional time piece and were used by a young girl's father when a suitor came "a courtin'." If he liked a particular suitor, the father might set the candle on one of the higher rings, giving the couple a long visit in hopes that this lad might become his son-in-law. If the young man wasn't a favorite, the candle would be set on a lower ring allowing just a short visit. When the candle burned down to the metal, courtin' time was over ;) Available


vintage courting candle


I'll admit the retro box sold me on this two-in-one gingerbread boy/snowman cookie cutter.  Available


vintage cookie cutter


When I saw this vintage turkey platter for $2 I had to text my friend Carly. She has admired the one I have {also thrifted}, that's very similar. She was thrilled when I offered to pick it up for her.


vintage turkey platter


Last but not least, my sister-in-law loves peppermint tea and I often make her handmade tea bags, so I'm always on the lookout for the perfect mug to complete the gift. I couldn't believe it when I found this cute cat mug that looks like their two cats! The artwork is called Catwalk by artist, Anne Searle and was made by Dunoon Stoneware, Scotland. I have plans to meet her and my brother and nephew when they visit San Antonio this week, and I can't wait to give it to her. 


cat mug


My Thrift Store Addiction


vintage thrift store finds of the week


Before I go, I want to let you know that instead of my usual Sunday post, I'll be participating in a Fall Tablescape Blog Hop. instead. I know it may seem early, especially if you live in a warmer climate, like I do, but I hope you'll plan to join us. It's hosted by Chloe from Celebrate and Decorate and there will be several tablescapes shared each day of the week by some of my favorite bloggers. I'm looking forward to the inspiration and giving my Pinterest boards a work out! 


Fall Tablescape Blog Hop 2017


Until next time, happy hunting! 

My Thrift Store Addiction signature


Party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. Great finds! I collect turkey platters, so my heart did a pitter-patter when I saw the one you found.

    Thanks for the courting candle lesson. I had not heard of that. And your cookie cutter with the box is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the courting candle!! How cool is that?! Those ping pong paddles are awesome -- now what do you have in mind for those?? Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you do with the paddles. So funny, when I looked at the photo, that's the first thing my mind did was wander, thinking what else could be done with them.
    I'm the turkey platter collector among my Panoply sisters. They always leave them for me to purchase. You an never have too many when you have a booth to sell in......:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paddle project should be interesting...how sweet of you to be looking for teacups for the gift for your SIL.
    I've never heard of a courting candle either...that's an interesting history of it. The cookie cutter find in the original box is an awesome score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a courting candle...how interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now what are you going to do with the paddles? Can't wait to see. Fun finds, I especially like the cookie cutter and courting candle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that same gingerbread cookie cutter, complete with the box! It was my mother's (ok, I'm pushing 60, so I guess I'm kind of an antique myself...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we might still have a courting candle...my daughter got it from a school fund raiser. And I love the turkey platter! I bet Carly is over the moon. Great price on it! Hm, now I wonder what you'll do with the paddles? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't think I have that particular cooky cutter but I do have an awesome collection. When I find another bag of c. cutters to buy, I go through them, keep any I don't have and then sell them invidually for people looking for particular ones! One of my favorite uses has been making dog biscuits with our Sunday School for an annual service project for our local animal shelter. Have dogs, biscuits, a fire hydrant, and a Halloween cat! I'm betting the paddles are gonna be bees or butterflies for your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting finds Cecilia. The turkey platter is beautiful and I know Carly will just love it. $2.00 ... oh my GOSH, what a buy. Love the cookie cutter too ... will be cute for Christmas decorating. Anxious to see what you do with the paddles. ???
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cecelia,
    Love these great finds! Thanks for stopping by!! Praying for your safety from Hurricane Harvey.....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!