Stop and Smell the Roses...but Clean the Silver, First!



Greetings Friends! I love collecting thrifted vintage silver and as I've said before, I really don't mind a tarnished patina. That being said, when my favorite tea set appeared to be solid black, I decided it was time to clean the silver! Recently, I found an easy, effective and chemical free solution that really works...


Natural silver cleaning



I have only been collecting silver for a few years and it's been awhile since I made the attempt to clean any. To be honest,  I found the products I've tried and even a few home solutions I've read about, to be lacking. They were time consuming without very effective results. So I was pleasantly surprised when I "googled it" and found something simple and chemical free that works! See for yourself:


Before and after silver cleaning


It shines like new and you won't believe how easy it is!  Now, my readers are so resourceful I bet some of you have been using baking soda for years. That's right--baking soda! Just boil a pot of water, then remove it from the heat and line the bottom of your pot with foil. Submerge the tarnished silver...


Natural way to clean silver



...and sprinkle baking soda on top. It will bubble immediately and then dissolve quickly. Pull the silver out, rinse with cool water and dry with a soft cloth. 



The natural way to clean silver


Sparkling silver and more time to stop and smell the roses! The pretty pink fairy roses are from my garden. 


Natural way to clean silver



This is the set that looked almost solid black before, even the tray! For larger pieces like the tray, line your sink with foil and follow the same process by pouring the hot water on top. 





I'm still enjoying my whimsical teacup chandy and the silver tea service makes the perfect pairing. 


Whimsical teacup chandy





My Thrift Store Addiction



Natural way to clean silver



My Thrift Store Addiction



Party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. I don't have any silver to clean but this is a great solution to pin! Who knew? Baking soda is so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with the rabbit salt and pepper shakers!
    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about that method. How much baking soda do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Cecilia! I clean a lot of silverware before making my wind chimes and this would be so much easier. Thanks for sharing this tip. I'd never heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful set! I like polished silver. '-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you I normally don't mind a bit of patina on my silver but occasional cleans is a necessary evil. Last time I cleaned silver I tried the method you used and it did indeed work quite well. Your silver and roses vignette is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing. I have heard of this trick before, but have never used it. Looks like it works well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cecelia,
    I have a tea set sitting on my dining room table right now that is so in need of this!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Higs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really a time-saver. I enjoy my silver polished but don't get around to cleaning it as often as I should. Well, actually, Mr. Z. enjoys cleaning it, so I let him do that. This method will be great for large pieces. Will try it.
    Thanks,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a similar silver tea service and you've got me thinking.....I'm not even sure where it is! Heard of this method, will have to try it some time. Your roses are beautiful! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baking soda has so many uses and here is one more! Your set looks fabulous and the roses top it off :) I will definitely try it...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful display--thanks for the cleaning tip. Did you know that baking soda and boiling water on the stove also removes paint from old hardware? No foil though but it's pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous arrangement of your silver with the pretty pink roses--love it Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea! I tried something similar before, but it was more complicated. Pinning so I can give this a try. Thanks for sharing at Talk of the Town.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good grief! Now how simple is this? WOW! I quit messing with silver because I got so tired of cleaning it. I am pinning this right now! Thank you so much! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many lovely pieces of silver. Thank you for so faithfully joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. You are a treasured blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never used baking soda to clean my silver but I will now! Thanks for that great tip!
    PS I LOVE your chandie.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to know that there is another kindred spirit that is later in the game of collecting silver, I have found some very pretty pieces as well.
    So thank you for the cleaning tip.
    Such a pretty combination of silver, pink and your teal/turquoise in the background.
    Thank you for joining us at TOHOT!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cecilia, what a pretty staging of your silver teaset! Love the pinks with the shiny silver! And thanks for sharing the cleaning method with us. Have a great weekend,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cecilia,
    Exquisite Silver Set!
    I remember my MoMa using a similar way to polish silver, but in the heirloom pieces, I now find some pitting from this process.
    Silver polishing day is a favorite of mine!
    It brings back memories of my childhood and youth,
    polishing silver with my Sister!
    I never tire of the amazing transformation that takes place!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used your tip, and I must say it was a success. I found out having the foil in there is essential for it to work because forgot it on one of the baths, and it did nothing. The process didn't completely remove the tarnish, but it made it much easier to remove with polish & elbow grease.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!