Simple Pleasures To Enjoy At Home!


Greetings Friends and Happy Memorial Day weekend! These days it seems like the emphasis on Memorial Day is where to go for what sale.  Now you know how I love a good sale, but in our fast paced society of instant gratification, it can be easy to lose sight of the true significance of the day. I would like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude to all of the veterans who have served our country.  I encourage those of you with young children to take a few minutes of your holiday weekend to discuss the unsung heroes in your lives. You may be traveling or celebrating with friends and family.  Maybe like me, you like to make the most of your long weekends by working on extra projects around the house. While there is certainly nothing wrong with that, sometimes I need to be reminded of simple pleasures--celebrating the ordinary.  Can you relate?


Simple pleasures


I will confess when I am in my garden, I have a tendency to keep a mental "need-to" list.  My attention seems to be immediately drawn to all the tasks I think need to be done, but in reality, will wait.  I found one of the best ways to counter this distraction is hammock time.  There is just something about settling in my hammock and gazing up at the trees that soothes my soul! This is just an average hammock that I have made extra comfy with thrifted sheets & pillow cases. Maybe you will be sharing your hammock with a toddler or lounging in a lawn chair but I hope you take some time to kick back and relax...

Hammock time


Dine outdoors! Whether it's a refreshing glass of lemonade or a picnic meal on a quilt, eating outside just feels festive.  Kids especially love it! 

Dine outdoors


Get your nature on!  It seems like this would come...well, naturally but unfortunately I have had to learn to slow down to appreciate the little gifts all around us. Taking photographs in the garden has made me more aware and again, kids are a great example. I have been constantly amazed how content Ginger Grand is to sit on the ground and watch for butterflies or listen to the birds chirp. 

Enjoy nature


Go for a walk! It could be a leisurely jaunt around your block or perhaps hiking a new path you've wanted to explore.  Over the years I have found some of my best conversations have been as I strolled with loved ones.


Garden stroll


Engage your senses! Have you noticed how certain sights and fragrances trigger happy memories--like gorgeous roses blooming or the aroma from the grill next door?  What about the sound of a bubbling fountain, the grass under your bare feet, or that first taste of watermelon on a hot day? I bet you have a favorite! 


Engage your senses in the garden


Get your toes wet! Whether you live near a lake or river or go wading in your kiddie pool like I did with GG, splash a little and indulge your inner child! Enjoy your weekend--I intend to kick back and savor the simplicity.  

Get your toes wet

Get your toes wet! Whether you live near a lake or river or go wading in your kiddie pool like I did with GG, splash a little and indulge your inner child! Enjoy your weekend--I intend to kick back and savor the simplicity.  


My Thrift Store Addiction



Party link


Would you like to comment?

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!