How to Upcycle Dollar Store Baskets for Fall Gardening

Happy Monday, Friends! If there is a silver lining to the miserable summer heat dome we endured, it is that I have never been more motivated to make up for lost time in the garden! While the extreme heat definitely curtailed my typical puttering in the garden, it gave me ample time to ponder fall planting 

upcycled dollar store baskets for gardening

When I visited my girls in Colorado, I found some great seeds that I haven't seen available locally. Aren't the packets beautiful? Yarrow is a perennial and although the marigold variations are considered annuals, they will reseed and return like perennials in my climate. Although all three are considered deer resistant, I have learned from experience to protect new sprouts from hungry critters! First, I found several wire baskets at Dollar Tree and gathered a few more from my garden storage. Next, I gave the dollar store baskets a coat of copper spray paint. (The older ones already had a great rustic garden patina.) Last, I shopped my home for clearance clip-on tags and labeled them with white pencil which I have found to be more weather resistant than chalk.  That's all there is to it! 
upcycled dollar store baskets for gardening
My Thrift Store Addiction

upcycled dollar store baskets for gardening

Stay tuned--I'll be sharing the rest of my fall planting and garden clean-up ideas in a few weeks! 
My Thrift Store Addiction signature

Would you like to comment?

  1. Wonderful post what a great idea, thank you. I'm headed to my Dollar Tree to look for the wire baskets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could plant flowers in the fall! Alas, I'm in Zone 5 so no go. I'm a huge fan of Botanical Interest's seeds and use them in Spring/Summer. Just ordered Dahlia tubers for spring 2024 from Swan Island Dahlias! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a clever idea!! It's amazing what can be done with baskets. Thanks for sharing at Home Imagined this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cecilia - Great idea to cover the seeds with the wire baskets from the dollar store. I have never seen marigolds this color and love them. I hope you share photos of what they look like after they bloom!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!