How to Make 2 Ingredient Nice Cream

Happy Monday, Friends! Today I'm sharing another healthy treat to beat the heat. Would you believe it's called "nice" cream because it's fruit based? But don't let that fool you--it's creamy and chocolaty and made with 2 ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen

healthy ice cream alternative

All you need for this recipe are bananas and cocoa. Are you skeptical? That's okay--I was too! The key for the right texture is that the fruit must be frozen before you whip it. I have tried several other fruits first, including pineapple, blackberries, and oranges and while they made refreshing sorbets, they did not have the creamy texture of ice cream. Now you will taste the banana flavor, but you don't need any cream or added sweeteners and it's the perfect way to use those bananas that are getting soft! Toppings are optional. I sprinkled this dish with mini chocolate chips. Since then, I've been adding a handful of walnuts instead for a delicious Chunky Monkey flavor! Ready to give it a try?

nice cream recipe

Start by slicing 4-6 bananas and freezing them on a wax paper lined tray. They don't take long to freeze--you can tell by a quick touch test. Next, mix only the bananas in a food processor until they start to get slightly creamy. Then add 2-4 tablespoons of cocoa. (This really is a matter of taste--start on the low end unless you are an extreme chocoholic like me.) Last, serve or freeze immediately.

healthy ice cream alternative

This recipe makes about a serving per 2 bananas. I usually mix about a third to eat right after I make it--think of cookies fresh out of the oven! If you do this, leave the remainder of the bananas in the freezer until you are ready to mix the rest. TIP: I freeze mine in individual servings, so all-in-all, it's about 3 servings for less than $2! 

nice cream recipe


My Thrift Store Addiction

healthy ice cream alternative

HONORED TO BE FEATURED HERE:

Featured!


Featured!

My Thrift Store Addiction

Would you like to comment?

  1. Looks yummy. This is my kind of refreshing snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to pop over after I saw this on Instagram. Bananas and cocoa? Who knew! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to make this this summer. It is a recipe used by Weight Watchers because it is so low cal/points and good for you! Now I have to try it! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Cecilia, I am going to try this stat! I love when you can use up those bananas and ice cream? One of my favorites. Thank you for sharing with Whimsy Home Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely perfect as I have some frozen bananas available. Pinning this as well.
    I visited you via Sunday Sunshine Blog Hop!
    I linked up this week with = 10+11.
    If you have not joined us as yet at SSPS do come and share your awesome post/s with us
    You will find the linkup information (1) In the Top bar under Blogging: Weekly Senior Salon Pit Stop OR 2nd image In the sidebar. We hope to meet you there virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make this! Usually I add a big scoop of peanut butter too! So delicious and healthy!

    Thanks for sharing this at the Sunday Sunshine Blog Hop. I’ll be featuring your post next blog hop!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious. I love the addition of the cocoa. I'll be featuring this today at Thursday Favorite Things, starting at 10:00 a.m. Central Time. Thanks so much for sharing this great post!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!