3 Ways to Craft Simple Greeting Card Art

Happy Thursday, Friends! If you're like me, you've probably received a pretty greeting card and thought I should frame that! And why not? It's such a simple, inexpensive way to create art and display a treasured memento. For today's Creative Craft blog hop, I'll show you three different ways

greeting card art

First, a big thank you to our host, Sara from Birdz of a Feather, and if you hopped over after visiting Donna at Modern on Monticello, welcome! I'm so glad you're here! Now let's get crafty! 


1. Upcycle a Thrift Store Frame

I know I'm preaching to the choir when it comes to praising the power of paint but here's the perfect example! Not only can you customize the color by painting a thrifted plastic frame, you can instantly elevate its texture by "sanding" the ornate details with an emery board to create an antiqued patina. (I used DecoArt craft paint in Light Antique White.) 

greeting card art

2. Framed Postcard Art 

Last month, I shared this charming Water Lily postcard by Georgia O'Keeffe that I featured on my hallway Gallery wall collection. 

greeting card art

Postcards can be a little trickier because they are often odd-sized. Matting is a simple solution. I've actually displayed postcards on top of matting when sizes didn't match. 

greeting card art

In this instance, I happened to have this floral frame on hand that complemented the art beautifully. Notice that the inner frame design mimics matting. 

greeting card art


3. Standing Frame Display 

Last but not least is probably the easiest option of all. All you need to do is pop a lovely card like this garden-inspired Mother's Day card into a freestanding photo frame. 

greeting card art

Here you can see it displayed in my kitchen. Shout out to Dear Firstborn who shares my fondness for beautiful cards and gave me all three on different occasions! One more tip before I go--both the floral frame and the jade frame were purchased over ten years ago. While I have used them previously for different photographs over the years, I'm so glad I held on to them. I recommend storing frames in clear bins for just the right project! 

greeting card art

My Thrift Store Addiction


HONORED TO BE FEATURED HERE!

Featured!


My Thrift Store Addiction

Would you like to comment?

  1. I am loving the frames, you found some really cute frames. Thanks for sharing Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cecilia what a great way to recycle cards that you love! Every time you look at your art you will be reminded of the sender! The frames are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful way to display sentimental cards year round! I can easily visualize creating them into wall art, too! Thanks for the inspiration, Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A simple reminder of what a $4.00 jar of paint can accomplish! I have so many items that need a coat of paint, I just have to get busy, lol. Fun post, Cecilia! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look so pretty Cecilia, such a great idea and a wonderful way to enjoy the cards for a long time and create a special memory!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this idea. I buy lots of cards and some of them are just so pretty so why not frame them and enjoy them. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your gallery wall! Florals are my favorite, and I think this is a great idea to use greeting cards and postcards in decor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely way to keep and display special cards. Thanks for sharing, Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I love the frames, Cecelia! That green is outstanding, what a find!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea & a great way to keep those pretty cards that are sentimental to you! The frames are beautiful too! Pinned!
    Niki | Life as a LEO Wife

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the perfect solution for those greeting cards I love but don't want to either throw out or file away. Your frames are gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are all so pretty! I'll be featuring this post today at Thursday Favorite Things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to frame cards too, it is something my mother did many years ago so I followed in her footsteps. We keep cards around here despite my husband's grumbles about "we can't keep everything". I am in love with that jade frame Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!