The Good Shepherd Vintage Book Vignette


Hi there, Friends! With today being Palm Sunday and Easter just a week away, I am sharing something very close to my heart. When I was a little girl, there was an old Bible story book at my grandparents' house that captured my heart. Though it originally belonged to my uncle, it was eventually passed down to me to take home. This was my favorite of the many beautiful illustrations. Now to be honest, I haven't thought of that book in ages, that is until a recent thrifting adventure brought me...


Good Shepherd vintage book vignette


...to this little shepherd. Then just like that, I was immediately taken back and the beautiful picture from my childhood book came to mind.


Good Shepherd vintage book vignette


I wasn't positive that I still had the book in my possession as I have the habit of giving some of my favorites to my kids, but I brought the little shepherd home with me, just the same. I am happy to say, that though I have more than a few places where I have cherished books squirreled away, I found it the first place I looked. The imagery of the beautiful illustration was fresh in my mind and I remembered there was a poem about the Good Shepherd, but not the details. The page is stained and yellowed with age, but here it is: 


Good Shepherd vintage book vignette


There is something so comforting in the picture of Jesus as the Good Shepherd, I was inspired to create a vignette pairing the vintage book and the new-to-me chalkware shepherd. 


Good Shepherd vintage book vignette


As I thought, the shepherd is very similar to the figures in my heirloom nativity, as you can see by the sheep that came from it. Interestingly, the book was from my paternal grandparents and the nativity was passed down from my maternal grandmother to my mother and on to me. Now that I think about it, that may be when my affection for old books began. I've always been drawn to vintage books and illustrations.


Good Shepherd vintage book vignette




Good Shepherd vintage book vignette


Here are a few more charming selections from other treasures I've collected...


Good Shepherd vintage book vignette



My Thrift Store Addiction Good Shepherd Vintage Book Vignette



Good Shepherd vintage book vignette


My Thrift Store Addiction signature


party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. I just love your vignette! The shepherd and sheep figurines bring back childhood memories of Easter time. It is so comforting that no matter how far away we stray, our Lord will come to find us, as the poem so sweetly describes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. So special and sweet thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord is there for us always and loves us. Sometimes we become weak and forget to lean on him, but like the shepherd he is there for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post Cecilia. We are going through a hard time right now and seems that this message was meant for us. I know that God is watching over us. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cecilia, this is wonderful. Glad you still have that book. The illustration is so touching. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cecilia, the parable of the lost sheep (Matthew 18: 12-24) has always been one of my favorites! It's very comforting to me and it was nice to be reminded of it right before Easter. Thank you! (I would certainly treasure the book as well.) xo Katleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to display a childhood memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, Cecilia! Love your new shepherd and how he fits so perfectly with your precious heirlooms. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vignette is such a beautiful and touching display!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen anything like this before; thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chalkware and that good shepherd is precious! Love that you still had the book and the family ties that both it and your sheep have. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your pretty vignette. Thanks for sharing it at C&C with J&J.
    Wishing you a Happy Easter.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful vignette! I love how you've combined something cherished from your childhood! Thank you for sharing this post at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cecilia, What a great memory of your time as a child. The vignette is really lovely. I have been in clean out mode as well and a couple of times I've gone to find something and it was gone. It happens. I'm glad you found the book. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simply beautiful vignette and memory. Thank you for sharing at the Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make link party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too cute. I do sheep & lambs also before Easter. Love them. It’s not about the bunny it’s about the Lamb

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!