After the Storm: 6 Week Update


Monday Greetings, Friends! A little over six weeks have passed since the high winds and hail storm that damaged my garden. Due to the extreme Texas temps--it is supposed to hit 103 today--I can only work in the morning or evening, but it feels like I have been at it nonstop! Today, I'm sharing an update of the progress that has been made...

storm damage update

Let's start with some good news: the golden yellow lantana and blue sage in my front yard are coming back! Since I have never seen wind absolutely shred landscaping like it did with this storm, I wasn't sure if they would return this summer. Seeing the familiar colorful blooms in front of my home helps to ease the state of upheaval in the back.

storm damage update

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen the biggest debris removal in my stories a few weeks ago: four huge cedar stumps. It is unbelievable how massive those things are and I was happy to seem them go! You can see two of them below.

storm damage progress

The tree and stump have been removed from the septic system housing. I am still waiting on the new aerator, but it has been ordered. 

storm damage update

In the third photo above, you can see my largest rosemary bush in the background. It was trampled by stray branches and tree limbs, and I'll need to cut back damaged areas. However, after clearing the offending debris, it already looks better than it did a few weeks ago.

storm damage update

Here's a before of one of the uprooted trees and the after of the same area facing the opposite direction after the stump was removed. My happy place sign survived. Sadly, my little red benchf did not. 

storm damage update

When I initially shared about the devastating storm damage, I was really overwhelmed. Truth be told, the whole process of clearing the debris from four uprooted trees plus an additional two that split and had to be cut is still pretty overwhelming. Although I lived in Houston during hurricane Alicia and dealt with previous storm damage, I've never faced the volume of cutting, clearing, and burning that must be done. On good days, I am accepting that it is a process and taking it one grueling chore at a time. Although Favorite Son has taken several loads, there  are still multiple piles of wood throughout the yard, but I am beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel! 

storm damage update

After the huge stumps were removed, Favorite Son cut another large tree at the very back of my property that had been split. 
storm damage update

Here, you can see the progress after the branches and brush have been cleared and burned. 

storm damage update

As soon as that pile was mostly cleared, Favorite Son got to work on the last of the trees. He finished most of the cutting this past Saturday. I hope to burn this pile before he comes next week to finish the rest of the tree.

storm damage update

Before I go, I wanted to show you the lovely journal I received in a thoughtful care package from Youngest Daughter. Ginger Grand picked it out for me "because of the verse." ❤ Isn't it a perfect reminder during this challenging season? My prayer is that I'll have the roof replaced, fencing repaired, and some pretty progress to share at the next update. Thanks so much for all of your prayers!

storm damage update

My Thrift Store Addiction

Would you like to comment?

  1. Isn't your Ginger Grand such a sweetie! I want to give him a big hug! On the other hand, he's probably glad he's NOT with you to have to help with all the lugging and piling! You surely have made a lot of progress! Please be careful of your rotator cuffs; as we age, it gets easier for them to rip! Can you donate the wood to someone who needs it for firewood? I have no idea how cypress burns. Hurts my Scotch-Irish-Polish sense of thrift to see it go to waste! Is it dry in TX? Until our recent spate of rainy days (in Maine), we could not get burning permits. My s-i-l piles pine branches in their large fire pit. Are any of the branches good for potential wall hanging "dowels", glueing silk flowers to for a bonsai branch, perches for faux birds in a bird cage, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cecilia, you've come so far! I am one who gets particular joy and excitement to see work like this and its progress. This is really amazing, especially given the heat Texas has ramped up over the past few weeks. You are blessed to have the muscle of your son helping you, and to have the skill for burning wisely in between (not sure I would feel confident doing that). I know you're looking forward to a new roof and the aerator, as well as the fence. Your journal says it all insofar as making it pretty again. Blessings!
    Lol, as I was reading, I was thinking "Cecilia probably has no desire to make projects of any of that wood!". Then I read Kathy's comment above, suggesting it. After the trauma of the whole thing is over, maybe it is a good idea. Not sure if I could do it, though. I'd be so anxious to see the last of the branches and logs just gone!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!