Earth Day Inspired Bird Feeder from Vintage Match Holder!

Happy Earth Day! Today's simple project may be the easiest repurpose I have ever shared.  It took me longer to photograph than it did to assemble! Gotta love easy--plus it is fitting for the occasion...

Bird Feeder from Vintage Match Holder


I find it interesting that most Earth Day observances are a way of life for me and they probably are for you too.  Gardening, recycling, repurposing, water conservation and even appreciation for wildlife and wildflowers seem to be popular practices for the day that can easily be adapted as lifestyle. What do you think?   Now for the project: I found this vintage match holder at one of my local thrift stores a few years ago, pre-blogging days.  Someone had already painted it this lovely green that complements jadeite so well.  It made a really cute straw display in my kitchen. 

Repurposed vintage match holder

You know I am likely to re-repurpose ;) but I decided to keep the pretty color. I noticed the style of the tray was the perfect vessel to hold bird seed, which then prompted memories of Dear Firstborn bursting into the Mary Poppin's song, Feed the Birds, anytime she saw a bird feeder. So of course, I had to add the verse! I use white pencil to print on small chalk board surfaces like these stickers, which were from the bargain bin at Michaels, as was the blue bird clip. 

Repurposed vintage match holder bird feeder

Ready for the complicated tutorial? Attach sticker, clip on birdie, add bird seed--easy peasy! 
How do you observe Earth Day?



MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST:

apinchofjoy.com 


Awesome Life Friday - I Was Featured!










Embracing Change






Party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. This is so cute! I would make this if I had a holder. Now I'm going to keep an eye out for one. Happy Earth Day!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Cecilia ... easy-peasy. The birds will love that nice treat.
    Enjoy your Earth Day.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite kind of project. Quick, easy,and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I have one in need of a makeover! This is perfect. Love yours. Hm, now where did I put mine?
    I celebrate like you do - recycle, reuse, etc. thanks for the inspiration!
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo cute and now I want one! Thank you for sharing the adorable bird feeder at the SYS party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea! I love vintage match holders. Yours is a wonderful color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the color Cecilia and what a fun idea! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs
    ,Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea! Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever, love it! I remember my mother having an old vintage match box holder like this. What a fun way to repurpose! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!