DIY Valentines: Repurposed Christmas Cards and Clearance!


Happy Wednesday!  Being the thrifty girl that I am, I find it hard to trash Christmas cards after the season. Some of them are just so pretty! Plus I know most of us spend a good bit of time searching for that card that is just right like the person who sent me the red glittered card on the right.  I won't mention any names, but hers starts with an M and ends with -o-m!  Then there's this adorable little Scottie dog card I received from my sweet cousin.  Ginger Grand was quite taken with it.  The black dog has his own little dangling bone, while the other sports a real bell and they are standing beneath mistletoe--what's not to love?! So rather than toss them, I was inspired to make a valentine for GG.  Back in my homeschooling days, my three kids and I made our own valentines yearly.  They may have gone through their Starwars, Powerpuff Girls and Lord of the Rings infatuations, but you can be sure the store bought variety was stuck on a heart doily and bedazzled with heart stickers!  So....when I saw how smitten Ginger Grand was with the doggie card, I knew it would make the perfect valentine for my special boy!  

Repurpose Christmas cards as Valentines

I added red felt heart garland and a pre-cut heart from Michaels' dollar section, which I glued on top of a second heart I cut from chalkboard fabric.  I used a stencil for the scalloped edge and finished with handy dandy scrabble letters to personalize it. I didn't need the red glittered card this time--guess that will be a project for another day...

Repurpose Christmas cards as valentines

Repurposed--from Christmas card to a very special valentine!

Repurpose Christmas cards as valentines



Another great way to spend less money on Valentine's Day is to shop Christmas clearance--yes, you heard me!  Think about all of the red items you might find in clearance that can be used for Valentines day! This year I found red tissue paper, gift bags and ribbon--including the polka-dot ribbon on GG's valentine above--75% off by shopping for Valentine's Day in the Christmas clearance.   I also found these lovely glass heart ornaments.  I added my organic herbs; Lavender and Rosemary for fragrant, one of a kind valentines!  Available



Etsy Secret Garden Herbs


I bet you have your own savvy tricks for shopping the clearance section.  Share yours! 


My Thrift Store Addiction signature






Would you like to comment?

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!