Yard Sale Sewing Basket to Repurposed Christmas Tree Stand: Friday's Find #314


Thank God it's thrifty Friday, Friends! At the beginning of the month, I attended a neighborhood yard sale. Does anyone else get a little giddy after parking curbside and anticipating several sales on the same block? At one of the first sales I visited, I saw this vintage sewing basket. I inspected it closely but then walked away because I couldn't think of the  "right" place for it. However, it only took me a few minutes to go right back to the $5 find and tell the seller I wanted it. This was one of those times a piece "spoke" to me before I was inspired how to use it...


farmhouse Christmas tree stand


If you've read many of my blog posts, you've probably heard me say that I have learned the hard way not to pass a piece that speaks to me. I had already purchased the miniature tree, so it was sitting in my living room when I brought in the basket, and inspiration struck! 


farmhouse Christmas tree stand


The legs were darker than the rest of the wood and I think it's likely they were added to the original or possibly replaced. I knew I wanted to refresh it with chalk paint. 


farmhouse Christmas tree stand


I used the same chalk paint shade that I used on my breakfast table and ugly duckling dresser.


farmhouse Christmas tree stand


It fits perfectly tucked in the corner next to my blush sofa. You'll be seeing it more during the holidays!


farmhouse Christmas tree stand


My Thrift Store Addiction


farmhouse style Christmas tree stand


Until next time, happy hunting! 

My Thrift Store Addiction signature

Would you like to comment?

  1. I have almost the same sewing basket. I bought it at a local church yard sale. It was marked $3, but by the time I was ready to pay for my "pile" they had said everything was half-price, so I only paid $1.50 for it. Weird me I actually keep sewing supplies in it for quick fixes. My sewing room is in a separate building on my property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and I have one sitting in my garage. Now I know what I'm going to do with it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. I would have just put the tree on top and had it tip over when a curious cat investigated! Like you, I have learned not the hard way not to pass by something that "speaks" to me! Last week I grabbed the second to last "Haunted Farmhouse" sign for my daughter at Joann's and by the time I was through checkout, another woman had the LAST one. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forget where I learned it, but the turnings on the legs are called "vase and ring." Just love that name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, Cecilia! That tree is perfect for the project :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a garage sale find and upcycle! Great job! laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a clever makeover, Cecilia. I love it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea for a unique Christmas tree skirt - love it!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!