Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas!


Welcome to Creating Christmas! Whether you follow my blog or are new here, I'm so glad to have you stop by!  Since my Fall Tour, I have a few new additions as well as some tried and true favorites. I'll also be sharing thrifted finds that I've upcycled or repurposed for the Christmas season.  Then it's your turn to link up and I can't wait to see your fabulous finds and creative projects! 


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Thrifty tips to create a beautiful home for the holidays, like this tray full of thrifted treasures




This tray is full of merry, bright and thrifty goodies!  Yard sale trees are nestled against a thrift store snowman and deer as a clearance fox stands watch.  Even the gold framed Christmas greeting is from a thrift store.  Below is a closer look at my chalk painted sofa--one of the "new" additions I mentioned.  Would you believe it was a $10 yard sale reject? You can see the before here and the tutorial here.  It has become my favorite makeover project.  


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Thrifty tips to create a beautiful home for the holidays, like this $10 yard sale sofa transformed with chalk paint



On my mantel, I've given myself an ongoing chicken feeder challenge after bringing home this rustic treasure last spring.  With each mantel display since, I've included the chicken feeder one way or another.  I knew it could be a challenge to style it with a nativity scene but had to give it a go.  Of course I added glittery greenery (from Big Lots) and also the snowy tulle garland I've used all over this holiday season. You can see how to make it here--no sewing required! 


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Dollar store tulle and a vintage chicken feeder add whimsy to the Christmas mantel



I've arranged the garland and tulle around the chicken feeder. The vintage sheet music and books are from my thrifted collections and the sign was a clearance find from Christmas past.



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Dollar store tulle, a vintage chicken feeder, books and sheet music add whimsy to the Christmas mantel



Now for my grandmother's nativity!  If you've read my e-Book, then you've heard the story but I'll share it again for those who haven't ;)  Every year my mother gave one piece of this nativity set to her mother as a Christmas gift.  When she grew up, my grandmother gave her the set and when I started my family, my mother passed it on to me.  I treasure it and display it in the same spot every year.  


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Vintage family heirloom nativity, a holiday tradition



On the right side of the mantel, is a fun feather tree I found thrifting with my daughters at their favorite haunt in Denver, when I visited for Thanksgiving. 


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Thrift store feather tree nestled among glittery garland and festive candles



To the left, is a thrift store finial that still had its Pier One tags when I grabbed it for next to nothing. Now it displays glittery pinecones and a clearance deer ornament.  All of the candle holders are Christmas clearance finds too! 


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com A thrift store finial and deer ornament sparkle on one side of the mantel



A wider view of the mantel...


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Mantel view includes vintage heirloom nativity combined with whimsical thrift store finds



My vintage ornament wreath got a new tulle skirt since last season.  See how to make your own wreath here! 



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com DIY vintage ornament wreath framed in tulle



The stockings were hung by the chimney with care.


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com An assortment of gold and silver stockings from sequins to polka dots



Have you met Juliet? She is my beloved dress form repurposed as this year's Christmas tree. 


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Nutcracker inspired dress form alternative Christmas tree



Inspired by The Nutcracker, you can read more about her here and see the tutorial here.


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Nutcracker inspired dress form alternative Christmas tree featuring a corn husk Clara



This special project brought back precious memories of my little ballerinas' Nutcracker performances and I have truly enjoyed my ballet inspired Christmas tree.  


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Nutcracker inspired dress form alternative Christmas tree featuring vintage toe shoes




I adore pillows but since they can get expensive, I like to have mine serve double duty.  Next week I'll be sharing how I dressed up this one and others for the season.  


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Pillows dressed up for Christmas--no need to buy new!




So now you've seen my living room bedazzled with the Christmas spirit! Just in case this is your first visit here, I have to brag a little on Rosie, my vintage thrift store sofa.  Meet Rosie here!


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Living room decked out for Christmas




Just out of view in the previous photo, is the repurposed yard sale Christmas ladder I shared last week and since then I tweaked it a bit; 



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Repurposed yard sale bunk bed ladder decorated for Christmas




adding J-O-Y with Scrabble tiles ...


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Repurposed yard sale bunk bed ladder decorated for Christmas



...and a sweet Baby Jesus I found thrifting this week. 


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Repurposed yard sale bunk bed ladder decorated for Christmas featuring vintage ornaments and Baby Jesus



Now onto the dining room.  I combined my vintage china with monogrammed birch slice place markers for a rustic glam tablescape.  See more thrifty details and how to make your own glittery monograms here!



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Gold glam tablescape and rustic wood slice place cards




Isn't it fun to make your home sparkle for the holidays? Fa-la-la-la-la! 



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Dining room decked out for the holidays



On top of my china cabinet is my thrift store Christmas tree farm that I upcycled from .25  cast offs. See how here



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Magical Christmas tree farm created with upcycled thrift store trees



A closer look...


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Magical Christmas tree farm created with upcycled thrift store trees




A few of the other pillows I dressed up for Christmas. 



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Pillows dressed up with ribbon and brooches for the holidays




Festive poinsettias & a little whimsy! 



Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Add whimsy to traditional poinsettias with fun signs



On Sunday, I'll be sharing Christmas in my kitchen which includes my jadeite collection. Since there is a party to get to, I decided two posts would be better than one that is too lengthy! Here's a little preview...


Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Vintage jadeite collection and nutcracker display


A quick reminder Trina @ Tea Time with Trina hosted yesterday and you can link up your Silver and Gold Christmas posts.  Then tomorrow, Jo from Anne's Attic will be hosting a Romantic Christmas. {The rest of the week's line up is on the Santa banner on my sidebar.}  Now it's your turn! Feel free to share any thrifted finds, projects, or decor related to Christmas.  Also, all of the parties will be open thru Christmas Eve, so come back and link up as often as you like!  Be merry and visit other links!  






MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST:



Scrapality.com



Rooted In Thyme







Creating Christmas: A Very Thrifty Christmas mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Click here to see where I party!

Would you like to comment?

  1. Well it's all just delicious Cecilia! Love the story about the precious nativity! The added tulle to your wreath is darling and the little baby Jesus find is just precious! Thanks again for joining in 'Creating Christmas'
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've created a very festive, and pretty space with all your thrifty finds! Great job putting it all together! ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. all the turquoise ... the fabulous ornaments ... the Christmas ladder ... all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun to put together a room with such great finds! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love it all. You find some of the best stuff, and I am just adoring how you put it all together. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy...fabulous! I could shop your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cecilia your home is just beautiful! I love both the living room and the dining room! It's a very peaceful and calming atmosphere, yet it's very festive at the same time! You have such a knack for decorating with thrifted finds...I really love the Nativity. The pieces look very similar to the set of my mom's that I grew up with. I'm sure it brings you such good memories! xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home looks so pretty ... love how you have used your thrifted finds to decorate for Christmas. The Peace sign is still my favorite. The Nativity set and story is wonderful to bring back memories. You have inspired me to get out one of my old Nativity sets this year.
    Christmas Blessings,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Love your decorating. I noticed a banner across your mirror and wondered if you had a tutorial for making it?Thanks, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun party! Love all your decorations! Thrifted treasures add so much Christmas nostalgia to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your house looks very festive and I can just see it all! Love all the sweet touches you've placed around. Thanks for the party!
    hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your house looks just stunning Cecilia--filled with all kinds of vintage goodness. I linked up a post to your party :) What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cecilia your house and decorations are lovely. It all came together beautifully. Your Christmas Tree Farm is one of my favorite posts. sb

    ReplyDelete
  14. My goodness, what wonderful vignettes you have made in your home. The dress form made into Christmas wonder really caught my eye. You have such great Christmas themed collections. Thank you too for Creating A Very Thrifty Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your home is so beautiful! You are so creative. Love it all. Hugs, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything, especially your color choices. Gorgeous!!! Thanks so much for sharing your home at VIP.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love absolutely everything about your decorating Cecilia. You did an amazing job!Too many wonderful things to mention but the sweet tree farm is so fun, and of course Juliet is stunning! Thanks for the party. Thrifting for Christmas is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cecelia,
    Your home looks stunning all decorated for Christmas!!
    I linked up some of my posts as most of my decorations have been bought at 75% off after Christmas or at yard sales, flea markets and Estate Sales!!
    Thanks so much for hosting!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi sweet Cecilia! Oh, your home looks so warm, festive, and beautiful for the Christmas season. You certainly know how to make everything charming :)

    Thank you so much for the invitation to link up - you are a sweetie! I linked up two projects, but may be back when I share a post on my blog of a few Christmas decorations in my home.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Christmas decor is so lovely, Cecilia! I love all of your personal, whimsical touches and I am always amazed by your chalk painted settee! Thanks for hosting the party!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful christmas home you have. thank you for hosting.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!