{Accidental} Fudge Truffles & Creating Christmas Features!

Greetings Friends! I want to thank all of you who linked up to the Creating Christmas party! I was truly inspired by your creative thrifty posts and I know you'll enjoy the fabulous features. But first, need a tasty last minute gift? Today I am sharing my {accidental} fudge truffle recipe....

Fudge truffle recipe

Now here's where the accidental part occurred: 
Every year I make my heavenly fudge. Last year, I shared the simple recipe and how year after year, it never fails--well until this year that is! One of the main ingredients is condensed milk and I have successfully used different brands in years past.  However, this year it simply would not set.  It was delicious, but had to be tasted by the spoon! I had two pans of ooey-gooey fudge. Being the thrifty girl that I am, I could not bear to waste it!  So I did a little research and viola!  A new holiday recipe was created-- fudge truffles! Here's what you will need: 

18 ounces of melted chocolate chips (1 1/2 large bags or 3 small ones)
14.4* ounce  can of condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Wax paper lined tin or pan

Fudge truffle recipe

I start by lining my pan with waxed paper. Next, I melt my chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second increments until they are creamy. One caution, just make sure not to overheat them or they won't melt at all. Then I stir in the condensed milk and vanilla.  *Nestle makes a 14.4 ounce can.  In hindsight, I have used just 14 ounces in the past--if you use Eagle brand, you will probably wind up with fudge! You need that extra .4 ounces for truffles.  Pour into your lined pan and chill for at least an hour.

Fudge truffle recipe

For the next step, I used a cookie dough scoop to form balls onto a wax paper lined cookie sheet before chilling them again.  This helps firm them for rolling in the toppings.  While they chill, prepare your toppings.  I used sprinkles and cocoa powder but I have also seen nuts or coconut used.  

Fudge truffle recipe

Prepare to get your hands dirty--well chocolaty anyway ;) Quickly roll the fudge balls between your palms and then coat them in the topping of your choice. 

Fudge truffle recipe

Finally, place them in cupcake liners in your box or tin and refrigerate until serving...or giving. I started with mini liners but soon found the regular size works better.  Now here's the funny ending to my "failed" fudge story.  Being determined to save the original batches, I shared the improvised truffles with my ladies' Bible study group.  One of the ladies enjoyed them so much, she asked if she could order several boxes for gift giving! Since then, I have shared them several times and they've been such a hit that I am giving some for gifts as well.  They are particularly handy for those people-who-have-everything on your list.  One last note, I used peppermint extract in one batch and orange extract in another--both were divine! Just replace vanilla with the desired flavoring. 

Fudge truffle recipe

Now, get ready to be inspired...

My Thrift Store Addiction

 Vintage Sheet Blog fashioned an apron out of a curtain--could it be any cuter?


My Thrift Store Addiction

I'm swooning over this dreamy Christmas retreat Eclectic Shorebird created!


My Thrift Store Addiction

Thrifty Rebel made these fabulous trees out of thrifted scarves! 



My Thrift Store Addiction

 Absolutely smitten with Curb Alert!'s gorgeous eclectic tree! 


If you were featured, remember to grab your button!

My Thrift Store Addiction



My Thrift Store Addiction



MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST: 










Scrapality.com





Would you like to comment?

  1. Thanks so much for featuring my trees Cecilia! Those truffles look delicious. I love almost anything chocolaty even if it's on my fingers. lol. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that ended up as a happy accident! Yum...
    Love the features...I wish I had a nook for a bed where I could put up gauze and lights :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the features Cecilia and the truffles certainly were a happy little accident! Thanks again for joining the fun! Have a very Merry holiday!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feature Cecilia! I think the posts and blog parties this Christmas are exceptionally great. Have I told you I love the name of your blog? I have added your badge to my page and grabbed the featured at button. Thanks again you really made my day! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a happy success story! And a great lesson on not giving up! SO nice to know you stopped by my place! I can see that it will be a festive Christmas for you! Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always afraid to make fudge for that very reason....not setting and having a gooey mess! What a great solution though! I have some over baked cookies (I have only been baking them for 30+ years!) that I am going to try and use to make trifle.....hopefully I have the same success and a new baking tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything with the words fudge and truffles in it accident or not : ) Your comment on my blog touched my heart. Thank you for the prayers! I hope you have a warm and beautiful Christmas filled with love and laughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Cecilia, those truffles look amazing! I just made fudge today and now I wish I would have seen this post before :)

    Have a very Merry Christmas! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Cecilia! Your Accidental Fudge Truffles are a feature tonight on the last Make It Monday. Come grab a feature button.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it when something doesn't work out but turns out so awesome. I love truffles coated in cocoa. There's something about the bitter cocoa and the super sweet chocolate treat that just makes me swoon. Thanks for sharing and linking up to Scraptastic Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those truffles look yummy. I will be featuring this tonight at my Winter Blues Wednesday party. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!