Whimsical Winter Decor on a Dime


Happy Monday, Friends! Despite our typically mild Texas winters, you may remember that it is my least favorite season, mainly due to my allergies. Since most of us spend more time indoors during winter, adding a touch of whimsy is a simple way to brighten your home once Christmas decorations are put away for another year. Today I'll show you how I shopped my home using on-hand items such as pom-poms, greenery, and upcycled wreaths to create whimsical winter accents... 

whimsical winter decor


My $5 fresh Christmas wreath is still green and fragrant--misting it every few days really makes a difference! White pom-poms remind me of snowballs, so I added some garland I scored during holiday clearance sales last year to make it more wintry. A tiny polar bear and whimsical Scrabble tile message complete the winter wreath. 

whimsical winter decor

A few years ago, I paired a larger pom-pom garland with thrift store mittens to create a cozy winter hearth.


Last year, a holiday clearance wreath became the focal point...

whimsical winter decor

... of my cozy winter white mantel and gallery wall. Once again, you'll notice the pom-pom garland in the background. Don't forget to consider clearance ornaments as possible winter decor. 

whimsical winter decor

The polar bear in my fresh wreath was an ornament gift while the sweet bird above and the fluffy one in my thrift store wreath upcycle were purchased at Christmas clearance sales!

whimsical winter decor

I know many of you share my fondness for playing seasonal dress-up with dress forms. To create this snow queen inspired dress form, I raided my vintage linen collection and craft supplies. 

whimsical winter decor


HONORED TO BE FEATURED ON THESE LOVELY BLOGS: 




My Thrift Store Addiction signature

Would you like to comment?

  1. Cecelia,
    I have been busy decorating our Den for Winter....I did not get to do so last year because of my knee so I have been really enjoying it!! Love that cute snow ball garland!!
    Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hibernate wreath is so cute! I wish my fresh greens lasted as long as yours! They dry out really quickly in my house even with spraying them. Perhaps not humid enough I'm guessing. That reminds me it's time to throw them all away! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! And you had me at pom poms!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute winter add-ons to a still great looking live wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just put away the last of the Christmas decor away---sigh. Such cute ideas you gave us. I guess I will wait until some 'inspiration' strikes and see what I can come up with. Shopping my home and huge room of craft supplies is a necessity---who knows what lurks down there! Best part about winter, no yard chores....but then I'm in Chicagoland, and hopefully no snow shoveling....yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty winter inspiration, Cecilia! Love those pom poms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to smile when I saw your bear and "hibernate". I talk about doing that all the time. I am the only person I know who is glad to see mud season. I HATE Maine winters but would miss the 4 seasons and I HAVE to live near by kids! I got 2 polar bears 90% off at Pier 1 (2.99 each)--like bottle brush tree material--don't know the proper term. They would be PERFECT with a hibernate sign! Gotta do it! I have been buying white, blue navy, and silver pom poms as I find them in different sizes. I have a few white felt snowflakes, too. I feel a garland coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your whimsical wreath is just too cute! The scrabble hibernate was such a clever way to decorate the wreath. I'm visiting from Tuesday at Our Home where I shared #54, a winter project, also. :)

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!