How to Style Collections as Seasonal Decor: Vintage Transferware Thanksgiving Mantel


Hi there, Friends! What comes to mind when you hear the word collection? A hutch full of matching dishes inherited from a loved one? A mismatched assortment of whimsical animal figurines? The best collections are gathered over time, treasured and displayed--not tucked away in a cabinet. There's no specific number that qualifies as a collection. In fact, mine each started with only a few pieces. Today, I'm sharing a simple, yet elegant Thanksgiving mantel that highlights just three pieces of my thrifted vintage transferware collection. If you're not a collector, no worries--a similar mantel can be styled by shopping your home, garden and maybe a trip to the grocery store...


how to use collections as seasonal decor


Even if you don't consider yourself a collector, chances are, you probably have three pieces that could be grouped as a collection, somewhere in your home. Lack of space doesn't need to be a limitation. While large collections can be stunning, sometimes less really is more. Since I moved my mantel to the dining room, it's centered on the gallery wall with a china cabinet full of transferware in the corner and a plate collage of even more vintage transferware hangs on the opposite wall--so you can see why I chose to keep the mantel simple. Last fall, I arranged a vintage milk glass fall mantel but this is the first time I've featured transferware on it. Of course, I had to bring out my thrifted vintage turkey platter! I added white baby boos and fresh rosemary and....


how to use collections as seasonal decor




how to use collections as seasonal decor


Another thrifted sugar bowl is perfect for a small arrangement of white mums. Except for the herbs from my garden and the grocery store pumpkins and mums, every item displayed on the mantel and gallery wall came from a thrift store, yard sale or estate sale. 


how to use collections as seasonal decor


Tip: When shopping for fresh flowers, compare prices of small potted flowers to those of packaged bouquets. I clipped these from two $1 pots of mums, which were less expensive than a bouquet. Plus, the potted mums will produce more blooms I can enjoy in the garden. 


how to use collections as seasonal decor


Here's a view with my upcycled vintage plate sign ...


Thanksgiving mantel featuring collected transferware


...and here's a peek at the mantel and gallery wall.


how to use collections as seasonal decor


My Thrift Store Addiction

how to style collections as seasonal decor


Do you have collected pieces tucked away that are ready to make an appearance? 

My Thrift Store Addiction signature



party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. Beautiful! Yep, I do have plenty tucked away, just waiting its turn as a new and varied collection for display. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty collected together today. Great tip about cutting the potted plants. Every summer I usually see hydrangeas for sale at about $5 per flower, but a nice potted hydrangeas (with about 8 stems) will be for sale for $7 or $8 in the nursery section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I collect turkey platters and now am anxious to display them. I was going to wait until after Halloween but now I might have to get them out now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this look, Cecilia, I have the same lovely platter! It's a great idea to use collections in decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The plate under the 1 sugar bowl is Johnson Bros Devonshire in brown - it was my mother's everyday dinnerware. I hated it growing up, now I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, Cecilia! Simple but beautiful, and it looks great with your wall of frames and grateful plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful, Cecilia. I am an avid dish collector. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely mantel! I think a fireplace is such a lovely focal point in a room. Maybe someday, I'll get a faux one and have to rearrange an already overcrowded living room! I love how the colors in transferware pick up the same colors in other designs; makes combining them look like they were meant to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! You know I adore transferware. Good idea about the flowers. And all the frames on the wall - such a teaser. :) Beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful mantel! I have a big ceramic turkey (opens up like a soup tureen) that I tried to sell at the garage sale, but no such luck. Now I'm thinking of keeping it:) Love the transferware and the greens!
    xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! I love that you put the thyme in the little cup and clipping a live plant is always a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cecilia this post makes my heart skip a beat! So many things here to love! The thyme in transferware! The more I explore your blog the more I find us to be kindred spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I love the clean look of this and how you included the live plants as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mantel is simply beautiful. I love your transferware too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your beautiful mantel at Snickerdoodle.

      Delete
  15. That is so pretty Cecillia! I love what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty with the baby boos & transferware & sprigs of rosemary.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!