A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat!


Greetings Friends! Over the last few years, my mother has planned several special mother-daughter mini vacations for the two of us. She's very thoughtful that way--lucky me! Our latest overnight retreat was honestly one of the most delightful places I have ever visited. I have been so excited to share it with you, so get comfy, take a deep breath and imagine you are here...


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com We stayed in the Nest--relaxation and vintage treasures await!
The Nest, the picture perfect room Mom and I shared at the Bide-A-While Retreat.


Here, is the Bide-A-While Artist Retreat and Studio tucked away in Dickinson, Texas about 24 miles from Galveston. The owners Rod and Sue Bown, labored in love to restore the hundred year old main house and eventually add guest cottages.  From the soothing color palette to the charming decor, Sue's passion as an artist and eye for detail is showcased throughout the property. Our room, The Nest included a covered porch and comfy swing, perfect for lounging! 


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com A comfy swing and covered porch, just outside our room.


Once inside, every nook revealed vintage treasures and thoughtful amenities.



A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Each room features charming vintage decor and soothing colors


The sun dappled sitting area was most inviting. 


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com An inviting sun dappled sitting area


The room featured wall to wall windows and with the trees surrounding us, it did feel like we were in a cozy nest.  The beds were both lovely...


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com The beds were lovely AND comfy!


and comfy! 


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com The beds were lovely AND comfy!


Isn't this antique vanity a beauty?


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Vintage furnishings like this beautiful antique vanity fill each room!


Stained glass is a prominent feature through out the retreat, like this lovely window near The Nest's entry.  Guest robes hang on--what else-- bird adorned hooks.


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Stained glass is featured through out the retreat


We each took a turn soaking in this gorgeous claw foot tub, complete with our choice of luxurious bubble baths.  Would you agree that the right bathroom can make or break a place? Well, honestly I could write a whole post on the Bide-A-While baths, alone! Each dwelling featured a carefully designed and beautiful to behold bathroom.  


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Who wouldn't love a soak in this gorgeous tub?


Since we were the only guests during our stay, Sue gave us the grand tour and pretty much the run of the place. Had we stayed more nights, I would have enjoyed trying this glass shower located in The Cottage. Isn't this spa worthy bathroom breathtaking?


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com A spa worthy shower in The Cottage


Look at that stunning shell mirror--talk about coastal charm! 


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com A spa worthy shower and stunning shell mirror in The Cottage

Just outside The Cottage's back door are two more options for those who love to bathe under the stars!   Whether you prefer a tub...


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Rustic outdoor tub for bathing under the stars!



...or shower! Note, both have curtains for desired privacy.


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Rustic outdoor shower for bathing under the stars!


This is one of the bedrooms in The Cottage.


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Hand painted pillows and charming decor in The Cottage

 Don't you love the sweet hand painted pillows? (More of Sue's artistry!) 


A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Hand painted pillows and charming decor in The Cottage


Have you fallen in love with this little piece of paradise as much as I have? There's still more and next week I'll be sharing one of my very favorite features ~ stay tuned!


MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST:






Rooted In Thyme





A Secluded Stay at the Bide-A-While Retreat mythriftstoreaddiction.blogspot.com Link party button

Would you like to comment?

  1. Sweet! What a fun getaway, and to have it to yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that porch. What a relaxing place to spend a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to stay in a place like that this summer! Only in the mountains here in the Carolinas,that was very thoughtful of your mother; to plan a getaway,thanks for the tour:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute place. Love her painted pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh I am so envious! I could really use a retreat every now and then lol. You're so lucky to still have your mom and to be so close. (I lost my mom when I was 24.) What a gift! And there is absolutely nothing like an outside shower! (I grew up summers at the beach in NJ.) Can't wait to see the rest of your story:) xoKathleen (Oh, and I spent the summer when I was 9 years old in Houston and we would go to Galveston every weekend, great memories!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cecilia, it is divine! It makes me want to jump in the car and drive! I can't wait to see more...that porch looks so inviting!
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful place! And fairly close to me, too. Hmmm. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks just wonderful! I love all the hand painted bird accessories. Pinning and sharing on Facebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. On my... what a beautiful place. I could very happily stay there... like forever. lol. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That place looks wonderful. How nice that you and your mom got to stay there. It looks like the kind of place that I would love!

    xo Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super charming...I would love to stay!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in LOVE...that is a place I would never want to leave!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cecilia this cottage is lovely. Looks so cool and quiet there. Can't wait to hear more about the trip here with your Mom. I love how it is casually decorated in a very appealing vintage style. sb

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like such a peaceful retreat! I would love to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is exactly the type of place I tell my husband to look for online. There are not many way up here in the north, that we can afford anyways. I would love to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a thoughtful Mother and what a darling place to visit!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cecilia, what a charming place! I know you had fun there! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cecilia, what a charming place! I know you had fun there! Thanks so much for sharing it with us and for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can feel your excitement. Lovely place and I know you had a good time with your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, yes, yes!! Your mom has quite the eye for getaways. That's so sweet that you and your mom spend time together. Visiting a place like this is the icing on the cake, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely place. Every detail has been beautifully considered and I love the rustic charm of some of the pieces. The perfect spot for some mother-daughter quality time :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful retreat! Thankyou so much for sharing it with us! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love discovering these great places (thanks Mom!). I want that vanity, and that tub, and that cute porch! Makes me want to go to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love discovering these great places (thanks Mom!). I want that vanity, and that tub, and that cute porch! Makes me want to go to Texas!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!