From Resolutions to Gratitude and Rest


Happy Monday, Friends! January is often accompanied by resolutions and goals for the coming year. If making resolutions has been productive for you, go for it! On the other hand, maybe you feel defeated when another year passes with unrealized goals. Not that I don't have any personal goals, but at some point, I decided to trade my resolutions to change for gratitude; past, present, and what's yet to come...


rest Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28


Gratitude lists remind me of answered prayers and keep my attitude in check. Perhaps you select an inspirational word for the year. Though I often do as well, I haven't always shared mine here. However, this year I feel differently. As I've watched the yearly words crop up across blogs and social media, I've noticed lots of bold selections which is great, because we want to be challenged and inspired. However, the quiet word that came to me this year is rest. 


rest Matthew 11:28


While the word may not sound particularly exciting, I'm going to cling to it--not as the opposite of taking action, but rather choosing to rest in what God has for me each day. In 2018, our family celebrated some joyous occasions; we are healthy and have so many reasons to be thankful. At the same time, there were heartaches and sorrow, and at times, I've been guilty of focusing too much on burdens, forgetting to rest. Truthfully, there are some things that still feel unsettled in my life, and I've been in what seems like a long season of waiting. But you know what? I've been here before, and though waiting can be painful, I know He is faithful! So, in 2019, when worry, stress, or fear tries to sneak in, I will choose to remember Matthew 11:28...and rest in Him. I've shared this from my heart today because I believe some of you may be experiencing similar struggles. I hope you leave here feeling encouraged, and I'd love to hear your thoughts! 


My Thrift Store Addiction signature


party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. Very thoughtful way of looking at things, Cecilia. I've also had many periods in my life where I felt unsettled, waiting. It's a matter of trusting divine order will unfold in time, while still engaging in action that will move us forward. I really like your goal of resting in His plan. This is definitely going to be a big year for me, and rest is a great way of looking at it positively, rather than fretting, as I typically do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an angel from God sent to me today with your inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecelia,
    I love your word, Rest! Mine is FOCUS for this year. I need to focus on tasks and things in the present to get through to October when I have my knee surgery and retire. Next year, I just may choose REST as my Word for 2020 as I will finally be retired!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post, Cecilia! I have been taking to time to rest and restore, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post and very inspiring word choice. It really spoke to me because I have many unknowns in my life right now. I need to rest in the fact that God is in control and He has a plan.

    For my own word of the year, I've chosen Courage -- as I face all of the unknowns and unsettled things.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your choice of word and meaning behind it is awesome. I love your positive attitude. I find that to be the hardest thing of all:) While I am also blessed, I have quite a bit of "stuff" coming up in my life within the next few weeks and months ahead so I know how you feel. But I remind myself, like they say, just because you don't see a way doesn't mean God doesn't have a way. Here's to a great year ahead for us both! xo Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed this post; thank you! I know, for me, when I practice an attitude of gratitude and pray for those people/things/situations that aggravate me, things go SOOOO much better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this post, it is just what I needed to hear. It brought tears to my eyes as I feel that God was speaking to me through your precious way with words. It seems like I've been waiting a lifetime, but God is faithful and I will choose rest in him. God bless you as you rest in him too. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post with heart felt sentiments. I am resting in the Lord too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the verse and the Picture that is with it!! Makes me want to go take Scrabble pictures or make a craft with them (which I have not yet done....) while I'm resting, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful word and a wonderful sentiment....I wish you rest in this new year.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!