Searching for Superheroes!

Greetings Friends! It is no secret that my heart has been captured by my one and only Ginger Grand.  He is a big fan of superheroes right now and I have been planning his Christmas gift for some time--a superhero quilt.  GG is very sensory and often describes things as "comfy" or "cozy", so I wanted to use extra cuddly backing, and what is softer than a nice, worn t-shirt?!  I have been hunting and collecting a variety of superhero embellished fabrics, Vintage t-shirts and even a few pajamas. Now, let me begin by saying I am not a quilter--I am a doting Tahtee who hopes to delight her grandson.  I can imagine him squealing the names of each character and pointing his chubby little fingers to name them. Here is my finished project:

Superhero t-shirt quilt

As I gathered, I cut each shirt into a "square" which was actually a rectangle.  I used a piece of computer paper as my pattern.  For a few weeks, this occupied my living room floor and I played musical squares by rearranging pieces as I added new ones.  Once I was pleased with the pattern arrangement, I started sewing each row.  And yes...according to GG, "Vader!" is a superhero!


Superhero t-shirt quilt

I continued stitching rows.  Once I had the front assembled.... 


Superhero t-shirt quilt

I added batting to the back.

superhero t-shirt quilt

Now I was ready to add the red, snuggly fabric I chose for the quilt back.  After stitching the front and back right sides together, I turned the quilt right side out, then machine stitched around the entire outer edge to better secure the batting. 


superhero t-shirt quilt


Here's what I learned:  I probably should have used a binding.  Even though I added extra seam allowance, my method did add some bulk and decrease the overall size a little.  While the perfectionist in me nags that the finished pieces are not completely uniform in size--partly due to the t-shirt fabric tending to stretch-- I have told her to "Hush!" I am choosing instead to embrace my labor of love, imperfections and all, as I imagine the supreme cuddle factor my Ginger Grand will enjoy! 
My Thrift Store Addiction signature


MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST:


                                                                  JUNKINLOGO22111111





Party link


2 comments:

  1. It turned out "super" cute. Can not wait to hear about your little super hero's reaction to his gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother (Yes he is 26) would love this blanket! I would love for you to share a project on my Meet Up Monday Blog Party!
    http://jennymaire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I respond by email to be sure you receive it but your email address is always kept confidential. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!