Blah to Blue-tiful Birdie Upcycle for the Garden

Happy Thursday, Friends! It's time for this month's Creative Craft blog hop hosted by Sara from Birdz of a Feather. Today I'm sharing the transformation of garden decor that was so sad and faded that I had second thoughts about whether it could be salvaged but you know I had to try

how to restore faded garden decor

If you hopped over after visiting Gail from Purple Hues and Me, welcome! Once upon a time, the bird was red and the clearance find was bright and colorful. Although it survived our extreme storm in 2020, it was long past due for a makeover and I am so glad I finally did! All it needed was a little paint to elevate it from blah to "blue-tiful!" If you have any garden decor that has seen better days and could use a little love, I'll show you how I transformed mine.

how to restore faded garden decor

Start with a good scrubbing--a little dish soap and an old toothbrush will work wonders. Next, allow it to dry thoroughly in sunlight, select your paint and if needed, use painter's tape to divide or cover areas like between the bird and pot and around the beak. Then, paint in sections, allowing the freshly painted portion to dry before proceeding to the next. You can see that I began by painting the pot in a pale terracotta shade before proceeding to the blue for the bird. Last, finish the details. For my little birdie, this included painting the feet and beak in gold and using a Sharpie marker to restore the original dot eyes. Blue-tiful! 


My Thrift Store Addiction

how to restore faded garden decor

I'm so glad you stopped by today! Next on the hop is Carol from Bluesky at Home and I know you'll enjoy visiting the rest of today's featured bloggers below:


My Thrift Store Addiction signature

Would you like to comment?

  1. Ha, I'm a sucker for puns (and of course 'Birdz'). Love the pun and your 'blue-tiful' project Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The magic of paint. I love the little bird and colors you painted your great find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great save Cecilia, it is Blue-ti-ful now!! Paint is magical stuff! Your bird is adorable~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fabulous job in reviving your little birdie, Cecilia! He's now the cutest blue-tiful bird there ever was! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right! This went from Blah to Blue-tiful. So cute now. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blue bird is gorgeous and so realistic looking. Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blue-tiful bird lol! What a great makeover! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome save! Most people wouldn't even see the potential in that birdie! You did a wonderful job making him bluetiful again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little garden decoration. He looks perfect in blue. It didn’t take much to spiff him up. He looks brand new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your birdie upcycle shows up well in your yard greenery with the pretty colors your chose. It turned out all refreshed and blue-tiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet! Love it in the blue.

    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.com
    OnRockwoodLane.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love that, it looks so much better than before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too cute, and so glad you were able to save this cutie for more seasons to come!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!