Youngest Daughter's June Wedding in Colorado


Happy Monday, Friends! It's with great joy today that I'm sharing photos from the recent wedding celebration of Youngest Daughter and Sweet Son-In-Law. You'll notice from the credits that the photography was a collaborative endeavor as they are blessed to have several friends that are talented photographers as well as a couple of videographers, too! 


nontraditional June wedding



Prior to meeting Freddy, Rachel's path as a young single mom hasn't been easy, but I've been extremely proud of the parent she's become. I was honored when she asked if I'd like to give a speech at their wedding celebration, but I wasn't sure if I'd make it through without crying--surprisingly, I did! One of the things I shared in my tribute to the happy couple was that when I'd previously heard Rachel swear off marriage, I prayed that when the time was right, my girl would meet the man with the strength of character to cherish her as well as my grandson...


nontraditional wedding at a Colorado brewery
Photo Credit Lynda M Gonzalez * Hair by Nigel Kirk King


...and then came Freddy. They announced their engagement about a year after they met and not long after, they were legally married so they could begin the lengthy process of Freddy adopting Silas. I thought it was so special that they commemorated the adoption with a celebratory weekend and family photo shoot even before they celebrated their wedding. Between the couple's combined family and friends, guests traveled from England, Oregon, Washington State and D.C., Arkansas, and North Carolina as well as several Texas cities, so they wanted to allow plenty of advance planning time for those attending their nontraditional wedding celebration. Here they are after the adoption in March...


nontraditional June wedding

Photo Credit Kristen Kuntzman


...and here's Freddy helping Si get ready for the the wedding. I called it the This is Us moment--fans of the show will understand ;) 


nontraditional June wedding


Introducing the Carey family! Aren't they the cutest? Before they exchanged their vows, we took family photos at the venue, one of their favorite breweries.* (If you're looking for an event venue near Broomfield, Colorado unfortunately I would not recommend Wonderland. You can read why in Rachel's review,* here. Scroll down to Rachel A.)


nontraditional June wedding


I had the pleasure of meeting Freddy's mom, Val and sister, Finn (on the right,) during my visit at Thanksgiving. This visit I got to meet his Aunt Rose and dad, Damien. Such a gracious family! 


nontraditional June wedding

Carey family: Aunt Rose, dad/Damien, sister/Finnuella and mom/Val
Photo Credit Finn Carey



The happy couple with the proud Mother of the Bride...


nontraditional June wedding

Photo Credit Finn Carey


...and grandparents Gramps/Jeff and Grams/Alma (my mother.)


June wedding in Colorado


It's hard to believe that in the same year my two small town kids both married spouses born in Europe! Maria is from Spain and married my son, Jared on Valentine's Day. Though Freddy was raised in North Carolina, he was born and lived in England until he was five. Incidentally, at this writing, the newlyweds and Ginger Grand spent the week in England where they met more of Freddy's family and visited Manchester, Rotherham, Glossop, and Liverpool. Next, they will travel to Scotland to stay in a castle for the rest of what Si calls our honeymoon! I couldn't be happier for them! 


June wedding in Colorado


We were so happy that my brother Ron and his family were able to make it, after their early morning flight was unexpectedly cancelled for no apparent reason. (Boo Frontier Airlines!) Thankfully, their kind friends shared frequent flyer miles to get the family to Colorado in the nick of time. Ron and Rachel have always had a special bond as the kindred middle-children of the family. Here, Rachel is pictured with her uncle and brother while we were waiting for Jessica and their sons, Miles and Kai to arrive from a different flight.


nontraditional brewery wedding


Rachel has been friends with Kristen, her "Chief Bridesmaid" since they were twelve. Interestingly, Freddy and his Best Man, Tommy have been friends just as long. 


nontraditional wedding


My two gingers--love this one! 


June wedding in Colorado

Photo Credit Finn Carey



Rachel asked me to make the wedding sign for their special day. I painted and distressed the vintage frame, then designed a poster online for the itinenary. Their colors were navy and sunflower yellow.


nontraditional June wedding


First dance with Mr. and Mrs. Carey!


nontraditional Colorado brewery wedding

Photo Credit Lynda M Gonzalez


Youngest Daughter is extremely independent and though I made various offers to help with more of her wedding decor, she assured me she had everything covered--with a little help from Kristen and Finn. Though she frequently comments that she didn't inherit the creative genes of the family, I beg to differ, and I think you'll agree in the photos to follow. I adore the gift cups she crafted for the wedding party. My thrifty girl found the cups at Target and ordered vinyl lettering from Etsy ;)


nontraditional June wedding


The couple's idea to have a smaller wedding cake and an assortment of cupcakes was a big hit! She and Freddy took me to sample the delicious cupcakes at the delightful Mulberries Cake Shop (which I wholeheartedly do recommend,) the day I arrived. The sample I tasted was a chocolate cupcake with chocolate buttercream frosting...dipped in fudge. Perfect for the chocoholics in our family, which now includes Freddy. The scrumptious flavors at the wedding were vanilla, chocolate, almond poppy, carrot cake, lemon poppy, and fudge chocolate. Yum--wish I had one right now! 


june Colorado wedding

Photo Credit Lynda M Gonzalez


In keeping with the brewery venue, the wedding favors were drink koozies that featured their name and wedding hashtag: #eatdrinkbecarey!  How's that for creative?


nontraditional wedding


My heart is full and I'm so happy for my daughter and to welcome Freddy to our family. As I concluded my speech at the wedding, I'm so thankful that the girl who was never getting married, met the boy who changed her mind. It was such a blessing to reconnect with family and Rachel's friends Lynda, Kristen, Ryan, Dominga, and Clare whom I watched grow up. I also really enjoyed meeting and visiting with Freddy's circle of friends. Thank you to those who shared photos and I look forward to seeing the rest that include more of the guests, once the honeymooners return. Stay tuned for more family adventures--Ginger Grand comes for his annual summer visit next month! 


My Thrift Store Addiction signature



party link


Would you like to comment?

  1. Congratulations to the sweet couple and new family! What a sweet story. Here's to Happily Ever After!
    :)
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS
      It's a shame about the venue and poor execution of the planning. I bet that frazzled some nerves!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Cecilia. It was such a sweet time and I was so proud of how they handled the frustration with the venue, as a couple. They stayed calm (mostly) and just made up their minds to make the best of it and enjoy their day.

      Delete
  2. Cecilia, how wonderful for you to see your kids marry and to be loved! Your daughter's wedding looked to be perfect, and you all look so happy. Rachel's use of cupcakes and koozies was what my daughter did for her wedding in 2013!
    Congratulations to all of you, and happy Grand Ginger's family circle is complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita. How fun to hear your daughter chose cupcakes and koozies-- great minds think alike!

      Delete
  3. What an absolutely joyful and enchanting day! May the newlyweds be blessed with lifelong happiness. Thank you so much for the recent feature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful celebration of love of each other and family. Everyone looks so happy especially Ginger Grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I forgot to mention in my post that he gave a speech, too. He is so proud and happy and they are all having a blast in England!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations to the sweet couple! May they have a happy life together with cutie Silo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so precious! Congratulations to your family. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I can tell through your words that your heart is happy:) So glad for this beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed these pictures so much;it looked like it was such a happy occasion! Wish your new family well. I loved the one of Mom and Ginger Grand laughing; I hope you get a large print of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mulberries is one of the most popular bakeries in Denver! Love the photos! Thanks for sharing! laura, did the weather hold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, you're in Colorado!I can certainly see why Mulberries is so popular ;) Thank you. Yes the weather was probably the warmest when we were taking the photos, but not as hot as it would have been here in Texas!

      Delete
  10. Looks like a unique and fun wedding despite all the issues with the event planner. Wishes for a long happy marriage and family for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful pictures. That first one, and the smile on her face, kinda says it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The world needs more men like him, I was lucky to find one 16 years ago as a young single mom of 3. After my 1st failed marriage i swore it wasnt for me. Here we are going into our 13th anniversary and added baby number 4 13 years ago (we were engaged a few months when we found out we were having him, a year and half after meeting)
    Such a sweet story i wish them many years of happiness. Oh and LOVE THE SUNFLOWERS as the flower choice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love your story! Thanks for sharing and for your kind thoughts!

      Delete
  13. Aww Cecilia, I LOVED reading this whole post!! It was like reliving that whole wonderful weekend all over again! Sending much love your way, Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, you are the sweetest! I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with you during the wedding weekend and appreciate your lovely photos--not every bride has a talented photo journalist snapping pics ;) Seriously, so glad you girls have kept in touch!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations to your daughter and the groom. The bride's dress is very pretty. I like the idea of cupcakes along with a smaller cake.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!