Reusable Gift Box Glow Up

Happy Tuesday, Friends! It's time for another Creative Craft Blog Hop hosted this month by Sara from Birdz of a Feather. Today I'll show you how to transform almost any box to a reusable thing of beauty that you can craft for the holidays or even as pretty decorative storage

Reusable Gift Box Glow Up

If you've hopped over visiting Donna at Modern on Monticello, welcome! Are you familiar with the proverb, Necessity is the mother of invention? Last month it was Dear Firstborn's birthday and although I was excited to send her several pairs of vintage earrings I found at an estate sale, it's always a challenge for gifts to arrive with the wrapping intact after shipping--which brings me back to the proverb! After experimenting with some colorful washi tape I discovered at the dollar store, I realized that I could cover the box lids to create unique reusable packaging which I knew my daughter would also appreciate--plus no smashed gift bags or flattened bows! 

Reusable Gift Box Glow Up

As I anticipated, both the earrings and the reusable boxes were a hit with Dear Firstborn and I was so pleased with the results that...

Reusable Gift Box Glow Up

...I decided to attempt a larger version featuring some gift boxes previously scored on clearance. Here's a quick before and after. Ready to make your own? 

Reusable Gift Box Glow Up

All you need is plenty of washi tape and any box with a removable lid. You'll notice that I used 3 varieties of tape for this project but you can see from the birthday gift boxes that a single design works beautifully as well. Start by working from the center of the box, gently stretching /smoothing the tape as you apply it. For smaller boxes, you can wrap the tape around the entire lids as pictured previously but larger lids will need to have the tape applied row by row, allowing enough extra at the ends to tuck inside the box lid. Repeat until the box lid is covered. TIP: Boxes with round lids are slightly more challenging, so if you wind up with uncovered spaces on the outer edges after the top is finished, simply go back and add tape as needed. That's all there is to it!  
Reusable Gift Box Glow Up

My Thrift Store Addiction

Reusable Gift Box Glow Up

Thanks for stopping by today! Remember to visit the rest of today's featured bloggers below:

Soda Can Oak Leaf Sculpture

Would you like to comment?

  1. Great idea Cecilia - they all look amazing! This is one I will definitely use in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cecilia, you have such an incredible eye for turning ordinary boxes into beautiful works of art! Too pretty to open!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!