Stuck in a Rut? 7 Ways to Create a Beautiful Home on a Budget!


Hi there, Friends! Have you ever found yourself in a rut when it comes to decorating your home? We all want to create a beautiful home but at times, it can be a challenge to keep from getting stuck in a rut. You might think since I share upcycled and repurposed home decor each week, that I wouldn't be prone. To be honest, I hadn't even realized it myself, until I made a simple change recently. Today I'm sharing some thrifty tips that will help you conquer a decorating rut or avoid one altogether!

budget friendly home decor tips

Break your own rules and make a change!


For over fifteen years, without realizing it, I'd been in a rut by assuming that the living room wall was the only place for my faux fireplace mantel. By doing so, I'd limited my decor by the need to arrange everything around the piece I thought couldn't be moved. However, last month when I decided to try moving the mantel from the living room to the dining room, I couldn't believe what a difference it made. Once the mantel was moved, it opened up new possibilities for rearranging other furniture. Now it feels like a whole new room and feels larger, too! Previously the mantel was centered on the turquoise wall under the mirror--here's a view of it, last spring.

budget friendly home decor tips

Take a look around your living space. Have you made assumptions like mine? If so, I want to challenge you to switch things up a bit. I can't tell you what a big difference this small change made for me. {See the tutorial for my upcycled vintage plate sign, here.

budget friendly home decor tips

Play musical chairs...literally!


After rearranging the living room, I had space for a small sitting area. Instead of using the pair of gray velvet slipper chairs that previously flanked the mantel, I played musical chairs, literally. I moved one of the gray chairs near the mantel in the dining room and switched the other for this upcycled toile chair I made over from an estate sale find, that was previously in a guest room--which brings me to the next tip....

budget friendly home decor tips

Make something new or upcycle something old.


Earlier this week, I shared a tutorial for this $10 DIY pom-pom throw. See how to chalk paint a yard sale sofa, here and how to upcycle a throw pillow, here. Upcycling pillows by flipping them to the back side and stenciling them as seasonal decor saves money and storage space!


budget friendly home decor tips

Showcase your collections.


Last week I shared how to style collections as seasonal decor. Whatever you collect...

budget friendly home decor tips

....give your collection a special place to shine. {Check out the set of vintage Friendly Village dishes I scored at a yard sale!}

budget friendly home decor tips

Bring the outdoors inside.


A walk through the garden can be therapeutic--why not bring a little bit of nature indoors and enjoy its soothing and fragrant benefits? 

Budget friendly home decor tips

It's beautiful and free!

budget friendly home decor tips


Shop thrift stores, estate sales and yard sales! 


I know, I know, I probably sound like a broken record but check out the same living room photo I shared earlier--this time labeled with where I bought my furnishings before upcycling them. Enough said ;)

budget friendly home decor ideas


Add a touch of whimsy!


Have you ever noticed that it's often the whimsical accents in a home that reflect the owner's personality? Let your home tell your story! If you follow me on Instagram, you saw a sneak peek of this photo. I joked that Juliet was dress for fall in Texas, still wearing her floral dress, but with a fur collar added for the season. 

budget friendly home decor tips

Several years ago, I repurposed this vintage kiddie chair as a wall shelf and ever since, I have enjoyed changing it up for the seasons. 

budget friendly home decor tips

My Thrift Store Addiction

budget friendly home decor tips

Have a thrifty tip I didn't cover? Share it in the comments, please! 

My Thrift Store Addiction signature

MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST:








Would you like to comment?

  1. What a great post!! We do have to learn to look around our homes and change things up a bit!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce is always complaining about how I switch furniture around, lol. It really does help a space feel fresh! I love your faux fireplace- I can't wait to see it in its new spot! I want to find one for my bedroom. Your rooms look gorgeous as always. Thanks for showing us where your things came from - very inspiring!
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the kiddie chair. Haven't seen one like it. So cute hanging on wall! Thanks for the neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great ideas, Cecilia...it really is freeing in decor to switch things up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips Cecilia. I am a huge fan of musical chairs...musical everything really. Fireplace looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all get in a rut from time to time. I am stuck on my family room right now. I just don't know what to do to shake it up. Maybe moving some chairs around will get my juices flowing. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your tips I agree totally. Right now I'm still floundering as to how to decorate the newly painted living room and dining room. I might actually move the couch that's been on the same wall for 13 years lol. I also did a post a few years back where I pointed out in my pictures all the thrifted finds in an entire room. I may just have to do it again! Xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips and ideas! You're right - too often we get 'stuck' into thinking a certain piece of furniture or decor piece HAS to go in a certain room and when you move it, it stands out (in a good way!) all the more. I love shopping my house and do it a lot since I'm committed to not buying a lot of 'stuff'!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good tips and advice. I think I need to take a look at my rooms and see if I can shake them up a bit. Love how your living room looks now. I especially like the cane chair with the blue fabric. Looks great in your living room.
    Hugs,Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to come home from work and find that my daughter had rearranged the living room--usually nicely! I like using furniture in odd ways; I have a buffet at the foot of my king-sized bed that provides oodles of badly needed storage, another one used as a room divider between my kitchen table and living room. Soon, I am going to paint a desk drawer to become a bathroom shelf unit. I have gorgeous lace curtains that I alternately use in the bedroom or living room caz they fit both areas. I do love your faux fireplace and would love to have one; I love the flickering flames of even the fake fires!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips here, Cecilia. It is really easy to get into a design and decorating rut. Sometimes we just need to shake things up a bit to realize that we can really create a more dynamic design in our home. Not to mention, it can also adjust our spending habits, too. Shopping our homes or simple moving things around can often be enough to freshen up our space!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of fabulous tips!!! I often play musical chairs..... with myself LOL!!

    Thank you so much for sharing your tips with us over at Waste Not Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your dishes!! I am trying to get out a rut... and change up my entire decor style. I am a little bit nervous. I love all of your thrift store finds and repurposing.

    The colors of your sitting room is great... so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute & inspiring post Cecilia! It's actually made me think about how I could change things up around here. Ours gets arranged & it stays that way, but a change is fun. I love the way you are resourceful and decorate in such pretty ways. So interesting to see where you got everything too. Pinned

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!