The Secret to Thrifty Spring Decor and How to Never Pay Full Price!


Hi there, Friends! The sweet signs of spring are all around us and since everyone seems to enjoy freshening up their homes for the season, today I'm sharing my thrifty spring decor. While it's no secret how often I shop thrift stores, you may not know that when it comes to home decor, I never pay full price! Here's how...


thrifty spring home decor


Shop thrift stores, estate sales and yard sales year round for both seasonal and everyday items.


City or country, rambling or cozy, our home is our refuge and at the end of the day, who doesn't want to come home to a lovely place? I often come across people who are truly surprised to learn that a warm, inviting home can be created without spending a lot of money. Every week I share my recent thrifty scores and post home decor features that include my fabulous finds. Today I'm getting a little more specific. For example, here's a section of my spring mantel....


thrifty spring home decor


...and here's the same photo labeled according to where I purchased each item. You can see that literally every piece was purchased at a thrift store, yard sale or on clearance, which brings me to the next tip.


thrifty spring home decor


Shop clearance year round and after holidays for seasonal decor.


Honestly, this habit has served me almost as well as my weekly thrifting trips. During last year's Easter clearance, I found the adorable climbing bunny stand in the very first photo plus the sweet little blooming eggs, 75% off. The eggs actually look like something I would craft, but why make them when I can buy them for less? I have plenty of opportunities for crafting. Here's the other side of the mantel--also pictured are my favorite thrifted white bunny and one of the other French dishes I recently scored at a yard sale. 


thrifty spring home decor


In the center, this gorgeous platter was a thrift store find, I have since listed in my shop. No reason I shouldn't enjoy it until it sells ;) 


thrifty spring home decor


A peek at the hearth area below. The egg garland was a thrift store find, and the teak tray was a yard sale find. The fun Easter sign and vintage inspired bunny were both more Easter clearance and the moss is from the dollar store. 


thrifty spring home decor


Here's a view of the entire thrifty mantel....


thrifty spring home decor



....and one of the full mantel and hearth. I have one last tip for not paying full price.


thrifty spring home decor


Shop the dollar store often and buy it when you see it!


I know it's happened to me and I bet it's happened to you, too. I neglect to pick up something at the dollar store when I see it, and when I go back to get it, it's gone--usually never to return! I learned this lesson the hard way, but not anymore. I shop my local dollar store weekly and I try to think outside of the box when I'm there. What are other ways beside the intended use that the inexpensive items could be repurposed? By doing this, I've found everything from glamorous gold pumpkins and charming fairy garden houses to gorgeous silk peonies at a fraction of the cost! The tips I've shared apply to the rest of the spring decor I've posted too. In case you've missed any, here are the links. 

Hello Spring! Blooming Dress Form {Thrift Store Dress Form, Dollar Tree Peonies}
Spring Tablescape {Thrifted and Clearance Dishware, Glasses & Linens} 

thrifty spring home decor


I hope my tips have encouraged you that you can create a beautiful space on a budget! I learned this frugal lifestyle as single parent raising three kids. Now, I can't imagine shopping any other way! 


thrifty spring home decor



My Thrift Store Addiction


thrifty spring home decor


My Thrift Store Addiction signature

MY HEARTFELT THANKS TO THE FOLLOWING FOR FEATURING THIS POST: 






Would you like to comment?

  1. I love your tips!!! Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to start using them! I work a lot and miss yard sales but I am going to start making a point to go to my local dollar tree! I have the worst habit of not getting something then it's gone. Such a good point. All of your bunnies are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother-in-law is an expert thrifty shopper. She would find clothes she wanted at major department stores then very patiently waited for it to go on sale. Then she waited until it was at least 75% off. Yes, sometimes she missed out but most of the time she walked away with some really nice clothes for way less than originally. She goes to thrift stores weekly and comes away with great finds.
    Your tips are great! Most of the farmhouse was furnished with thrifty finds.
    Oh one more tip...let your family and friends know if you're looking for something - they just might have what you need or can help you look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree, and have been doing the same for many years. I do love a bargain, and the best finds have been on sale right after the holiday. I don't mind getting a new-to-me item and save it for a year to use at the next holiday. You are so right, you have to shop regularly as you never know when that perfect item will be donated for you to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to pay full price and usually don't! I wait until I find what I want at a bargain. Your mantel is charming and my kind of thrifty look. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have learned the "buy it when you see it" the hard way and now do that all the time! You must have phenomenal dollar stores there because mine do not have the nice things you show on your posts. I went looking for silk flowers and they were not even worth a $1! I am holding out for the yard and garage sales to start...our thrift stores are bare!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cecilia, I love the practical tips & it's amazing what you've gotten at the thrift store! I'm impressed. I love the bunnies you got on clearance too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All lovely finds and no one would ever guess they are all bargain buys :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful finds and advice too. You know I love a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an informative post Cecilia. Love all your Easter/spring decor, especially that bunny plate--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a special line of "rush" when finding a steal at a thrift store. I love your spring color palette, Cecilia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the after holiday sales. I can get some good seasonal decor that way, especially at Michaels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a huge sale shopper, too. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for anything. Now my kids on the other hand... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your home decor for spring looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am decorating for Easter this week and I can't wait to use the items I found on clearance last year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have some great stuff! I love shopping after season clearance too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have such adorable decorations! I love them and all the money you saved acquiring them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you shared this! You've definitely got some adorable spring/Easter decor. Thanks for the reminder to seek out the sales and thrift stores. All of our stuff is packed right now but you just reminded me to hit the sale racks after the fact and then I can enjoy those things next year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're my kind of girl! I purchase decor (and almost everything else) on sale, at thrift stores, or yard sales. Your Easter decor is very pretty and well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are such great tips! I love that little bloom decoration you have. Super cute! I don't shop the dollar store nearly enough, but am always on the lookout on how to re purpose stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thrift stores have been my mainstay lately but it's time to find some flea markets and garage sales. I also learned a lesson about not buying an item right away. It was never there when I went back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cecelia, I have shopped end of season clearance for home decor and clothing for over 20 -25 years. I hit pay dirt on Sunday at Penney's. They had their Freinds and Family discount of 30 % offered for Sunday only. I hit the Clearance racks nd they had Clearance for $1.97!! I bought a toal of 8 tops, including 3 sweaters for a total of $28.10!! % of the tops were on the $1.97 rack and with the 30% off, they came down to $1.38 each!!! Al the tops were originally $40-$50 each!! I had the BEST time!! LOL!!
    Thanks so much for visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've certainly picked up some lovely things. Thanks for sharing your tips.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally agree with you, I never pay full price. Not unless it's a bargain to begin with. Keep on #DIDI, we love seeing your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are all fabulous tips! You sure have found some awesome Spring goodies!!

    Thank you so much for sharing with us over at Waste Not Wednesday this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so glad you shared this with us at Waste Not Wednesday and I hope to see more from you each week. I am a thrift store junkie and I love your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You do need to keep your eyes open for those bargains, don't you! Fun Easter decor you have created! Thanks for sharing at Celebrate Your Story!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!