Buttoned Up Jack O'Lantern Fall Dollar Store Craft


Happy Wednesday, Friends! A few weeks ago I shared my upcycled burlap pumpkins, the first in a series of fall dollar store crafts. As promised, today I'm sharing another--so grab your button stash and join me! 

Buttoned up jack o'lantern craft



You'll also need a felt pumpkin or jack o'lantern from the dollar store, some white paint and some mod podge.


Buttoned up jack o'lantern craft


Since I'm partial to white pumpkins, I used white and ivory colored buttons and painted the felt white before adding buttons, so no orange would peek thru. If you don't mind the orange in between buttons, this step could be skipped. Here's how mine looked after one coat of paint.


Buttoned up jack o'lantern craft


After the second coat of paint dried, I worked in sections. I used a sponge applicator to spread mod podge and then arranged the buttons. This isn't a 15 minute project--for me, it was kind of like working a puzzle. I would come back to it every so often as time permitted over a period of several days. Of course, it could be completed sooner.  


Buttoned up jack o'lantern craft


Once it dried...


Buttoned up jack o'lantern craft


..I placed it on top of the armoire with my other whites, adding a little whimsy between the bird above and bunny below. Have you created any fall crafts lately? 


Buttoned up jack o'lantern craft



Pin it!



Buttoned up jack o'lantern craft


Just a reminder, tomorrow will be the last day to take advantage of the .99 Countdown Deal sale for my book When the Glass Slipper Shatters: Recreate Your Fairy Tale After Divorce. Thanks again to everyone who bought it and everyone who left reviews! 

When the Glass Slipper Shatters...by Cecilia Lynne 



My Thrift Store Addiction signature



party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. That's cute! Great way to repurpose old buttons. Unless sticking faux fall foliage in a container counts as fall crafting, then no. Oh wait! I did repaint my fence post scarecrow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute! I love the look of it with your whites!
    BTW, Cecilia, I bought your book & am enjoying it so far! Did you see my post on Surviving Widowhood? It struck me that we are making similar points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best use of a dollar store felt pumpkin I have ever seen! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I love the neutral colors minus the orange! I used to make button photo frames so I know what a tedious puzzle it can be. The end result is worth it though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute Cecilia. I like that you 'tamed down' the bright orange. Looks great with your whites. I am enjoying reading your book. I admire your courage.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cecelia,
    Love this!! I have a ton of buttons and this is such a great idea!! Thanks for visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish had enuf buttons to make this but will save idea for another time. Bought some off orange/brownish buttons at JoAnns to put on pumpkin for gift and whatever else comes up this season. Sheesh buttons are so expensive anywhere. Looked at Walmart, not one dad burned orange button in whole dept. What was their buyer thinking?
    Love your pumpkin, painting it white is great idea, not everybody is crazy about orange, Can't imagine why.
    Will have to go see what last $store project you did, love ideas.
    Hope you have lovely Fall weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your button Jack o lantern. Thank you so much for sharing your idea at Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make Link Party.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!