Friday's Find: Sleigh Door Hanger!

TGITF Friends! Isn't it fun when you find just what you were looking for? Even if you didn't know you were looking for it....!  After realizing that the fresh wreaths I usually buy online Black Friday were not on sale this year, I was on a mission for a thrifty alternative for my front door...

Sleigh door hanger

I didn't have to shop long--look what was waiting for me at one of my favorite thrift stores, 75% off! To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what its original use was, but then again when has that ever stopped me? It looked hand painted and there were two identical pieces with the little open slots pictured.  Someone probably made it as a standing sleigh decoration but the other pieces were long gone.  No problem, I found the metal Merry Christmas at my next stop and I was ready to improvise...

Christmas sleigh door hanger

I laced tinsel I had on hand through the slot openings, hot glued the Merry Christmas sign to the bottom and painted the letters white.  

Sleigh door hanger

I added some .10 thrift store jingle bells and hung it on my door with magnetic hooks.  Next, I filled it with evergreens from a grocery store bouquet.

Sleigh door hanger

As I was working on it, I remembered Ginger Grand singing the Jingle Bells chorus repeatedly during my recent visit.  Oh what fun...I considered using chalk to write the lyric from the holiday classic but then remembered I'd found some great chalk board looking stickers on sale awhile back! 

Sleigh door hanger

I wouldn't put stickers on my door long term, but I figure they should be good for the month--so far so good! I am tickled with my thrifty wreath alternative and I used the second piece for my back door! Until next time, happy hunting! 

My Thrift Store Addiction



Party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. What a perfect adornment for your front door. I love it! -Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Cecilia ... you find the neatest things and know just how to put them together to make them interesting and fun. This is perfect for that dark door.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great wreath alternative, Cecilia! LOVE the chalkboard stickers. I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your new header :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!

    I don't use a wreath because I have a favorite wooden candy cane, but I am thinking that maybe it is time for something new next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cute Cecilia. I was noticing your header... so organized. Did you make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving it! Such an original idea :) And very clever stickers !

    Merry Christmas to you and your family:)


    xx
    Mila
    milaslittlethings.com
    milawayable@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I'm in love with black doors this year. Thanks for sharing and linking up to Scraptastic Saturdays. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!