What's the Story Morning Glory?

Hello Friends! If herbs are the garden's thriftiest plants, then Morning Glory would have to be the thriftiest flower.  These showy flowers bloom profusely through the Fall and are one of my favorites.  Did you know they actually prefer poor soil?!  I read that when the soil is too fertile, only the heart shaped leaves will grow. Planting by seed is certainly the most economical way to go.  The only preparation required is for the hard seeds to be soaked in water over night before planting. Also, plant them near a trellis or fence they can climb on but not too close to other plants the vines may strangle.

morning glory

 
I usually buy my seeds in the Spring at the dollar store for .10 a packet, but they run out quickly, so buy them when you see them.  I wanted to plant some for Fall blooms and though I usually keep some on hand, had run out.  
 

morning glory
Soaking my favorite color--aptly named Heavenly Blue!

I found some great colors at Lowe's and though they weren't .10, several packs for around $5 is still a bargain when you consider the blooms to come! 



morning glory seeds
Love these vivid hues!

Have you grown herbs, flowers or veggies from seed? Please share your experience!

My Thrift Store Addiction signature




Sharing with these lovely bloggers:
Feathered Nest FridayShare It One More TimeHome Sweet Home
Simple and Sweet FridaysHome and Garden Thursday
Tweak It Tuesdays

Would you like to comment?

  1. I have always loved Morning Glories. Never really tried growing them though. I just might have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some volunteer ones come up this year. They are such a cheerful sight in the am.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!